World 1: The Mushroom Kingdom

Mario readjusted his mask and lowered himself into the manhole, climbing down into the Brooklyn sewers

Mario readjusted his mask and lowered himself into the manhole, climbing down into the Brooklyn sewers. When he reached the bottom he clicked the light on his hardhat and looked around, then called up to Luigi to follow. Luigi made sure everything was in place to protect the manhole cover and dropped down. Luckily this particular sewer entrance was a bit out of the way, so it didn't end up blocking traffic, instead it was just down a back alley where there wasn't any kind of traffic at all.

Together they walked the dank tunnels under the city, following the directions enclosed in the job offer letter. However, upon reaching the targeted location they both nearly walked right over a ledge.

"Well yea' I see th' problem," Luigi scoffed.

The sewer wasn't just broken. Not in the sense that a few bricks were out of place or as if pipes were burst through. There was some of that, but the main problem was the large hole in the middle of the sewer, like some kind of internal drain. All the sewage was flowing right into it, but it was so dark they couldn't tell where it led.

"So clearly tha's not s'possed t' be there, yea'?" Mario huffed. "Aiight, le's get t' work."

"How's'r we s'possed t' fix that?" Luigi exclaimed. "We didn' come down here with a ton a bricks Mario."

"But we did come here with pulley systems," Mario countered. "We gotta see wha's down there, maybe find what caused it. Go get th' gear outta th' car."

Luigi looked into the hole before going back the way they came. Mario took the flashlight off his hat so he could aim it better and squatted down next to the hole. He couldn't see anything since the light didn't seem to reach that far.

"Welp," he grunted, getting back up and putting the light back on his head. "Gotta start somewhere."

As he waited for Luigi he started putting some of the pipes back together. They were leaking all over the place, slicking the brick ground. The bricks themselves were all in pieces around the hole. It almost looked like a bomb went off, or like someone dropped an oversized wrecking ball straight down to the center of the earth.

When Luigi finally came back with the equipment he found Mario still looking down into the hole. "How do y' want me t' set it up?" he asked, startling Mario.

"Eh," Mario looked around, trying to find something stable. He pointed to a spot along the side path that looked mostly okay. "Here's good."

They set everything up, making sure they had plenty of cable and that the line was sturdy. The gear was bolted into the ground as best as they could get it, but they were both glad there were two of them so there was someone to stand watch in case something happened. Now they just had to settle who went down.

"I mean I'm all for swimmin' in th' sewer, ya know?" Luigi grinned. "But jumpin' into bottomless pits is where I draw th' line."

"'Ey but yer lighter," Mario elbowed Luigi. "Less chance of it snappin'."