World 8: The Final Boss

There was a slight breeze in the air as Mario and Luigi stepped out of the bunker fortress that held the last Warp Zone

There was a slight breeze in the air as Mario and Luigi stepped out of the bunker fortress that held the last Warp Zone. Before them was a world much the same as the rest, with horse hair plants and loose scattered bricks across a field of mostly red rocks. But this world had something they hadn't faced before...

"An there it is," Mario sighed, putting his hands in his pockets.

"He really was ready for us," Luigi agreed.

In front of them, was an army. Thousands of Koopas holding spears and hammers, spikes on their shells and helmets.

"I don' s'pose they'll just step aside yea'?" Luigi asked.

Mario stepped forward and in an instant every Koopa had their spears pointed at them. He raised his hands. "We're here t' see yer King," he shouted, loud enough that at least most of the nearby ones could hear him. "Let us pass!"

They all started moving forward, spears lowered.

"We have t' fight through this?" Luigi mumbled.

"We've still got our Fire Flowers active," Mario said. "Plus a healin' shroom, and an extra use on these pins if we need 'em."

"They have an army," Luigi countered. "An spears."

Mario charged a fire ball in his hand. "This's yer only warnin'!"

They continued advancing.

"Well there we go I guess." He threw his fireball, blasting one of the Koopas. The rest of the army rushed forward, but Mario blasted fire at them and jumped back. Luigi however was reeling away from the spears.

"Mario we don' got trainin' for this!" Luigi yelled.

"Nope!" Mario agreed. "Just start shootin'!"

They kept firing shots at the Koopa, but there were so many of them their attacks basically did nothing. They couldn't hold them all off at the same time, and they were advancing more forcefully by the second.

Eventually, Mario and Luigi were pinned with their backs to the Warp Zone fortress. Spear tips were pressed against them. They continued trying to fight back, but a hammer flung at Mario's head finally broke his concentration, and his powers dissipated just like that.

Luigi tried to block another attack from striking Mario, but the thrown spear ended up slashing across Luigi's arm, and still hit Mario's shoulder. Luigi lost his magic then as well, and then both of them were pinned, injured, and defenseless.

"I don' s'pose we could talk this out?" Mario grunted.

They were struck to the sides of their heads, knocked unconscious.