World 6: The Monochrome

Mario and Luigi stepped out of the Warp Zone and into the next world

Mario and Luigi stepped out of the Warp Zone and into the next world. Once again it looked similar to the others they'd already traveled through, just a new land. The difference in this world was the strange grey tone everything seemed to take half a mile away from the Warp Zone, like they'd stepped into some king of old black and white movie. Even the dust in the air made everything look a little grainy.

"'Ey, look," Mario said, pointing to the sky as the last light of the sun fell behind the horizon. "Night."

"Yea' but we already slept," Luigi sighed. "I mean, at least we won' have a sun beatin' down on us th' whole way though."

"Yea' I know," Mario agreed. "An besides, we've gotta stay movin' anyway. This is world six o' eight. We'll be on this King Koopa's ass in no time, an get that princess back home so we can go home."

Just like the rest of the worlds, this one was mostly open and unpopulated land. It was a lot of broken ground with a lot of scattered bricks. Every now and then they crossed paths with a herd Goomba or a troop of Koopa, but they just seemed to be either minding their own business, or watching the Mario Brothers out of fear. There didn't seem to be any indigenous creatures on these planets that didn't seem scared, actually, but it was clear that the Goombas and Koopas at least were working for King Koopa. Otherwise, the vicious plant life and difficult terrain were the real problems. Everything just felt void of life... There weren't even insects, the brothers realized.

They didn't come across very many other life forms, but the Goombas and Koopas remained the same. They were the only constant on every planet, which just proved they were King Koopa's forces that were stationed here to keep away the Toads. Best Mario could figure though was that they weren't exactly military forces, but rather something like guard dogs, or some other kind of deterrent. They weren't here to attack, just scare the Toads away.

That meant that Mario and Luigi just had to stay a fair distance away from them and keep watch at night, but otherwise had nothing to fear. King Koopa was fighting the Toads, but even though he knew now that the Mario Brothers were here for him he hadn't prepared for them in advance. All they needed to do was keep making it through these last few worlds, and confront King Koopa at the end.

Suddenly Luigi stopped, dropping to his knees in front of a low cliff. There was a narrow chasm-- a steep drop, yes, but narrow.

"We can make it over this ya know," Mario chuckled. "It's only like, a foot an a half off-"

"Look!" Luigi exclaimed, pulling a mushroom out of the crevice at the base of the cliff. "This is one o' those healin' mushrooms!" He pulled out his book just to make sure, but everything matched up.

"Yea' but how do you use it?" Mario asked. "Like, smash it int' a paste, or is it s'posed t' be eaten?"

Luigi read through the text again, looking for a description on usage. Finally, as he was still reading, he just crushed it in his hand.