THE SPECTACLE

Sam was greeted by one of the many Scottish Terriers that Miss Spink and Miss Forcible have. This one in particular was carrying a flashlight in his mouth. The light shined into Sam's eyes accidentally and he shielded his face with his hands. The dog circled him and sniffed, then led him down the aisle to his seat.

Miss Spink and Miss Forcible's apartment had been transformed into a spacious theatre with red curtains on a tall stage and two levels of box seats. There was even a mezzanine. Each audience member was a Scottish Terrier with buttons for eyes and eagerly wagging tails. The orchestra was warming up in the pit as Sam walked to his seat that ended up being in the very front row. The other Dean was already sitting down.

The curtains opened and Miss Spink and Miss Forcible started their performance. It was a strange performance filled with nonsensical singing and dramatic backdrops. Instead of clapping, the dogs barked after each song. It soon turned into a competition between the two and they fought until the set fell apart.

They closed the curtains to recollect themselves and continue with the show. Sam followed the spotlights guiding the audiences eyes up to the crown of the curtain to find Miss Spink and Miss Forcible leaning on their walkers to the edge of a diving board on each side. One of the dogs pushed out a barrel of water onto the center of the stage. Sam cringed.

"I can't look," he groaned out loud to the other Dean.

"Ready to break a leg Miriam?!" Miss Spink shouted.

"Our lives for the theatre April!" Miss Forcible responded.

They started to bounce on their boards. Sam's heart raced. He knew they weren't the real Miss Spink and Miss Forcible, so if these strange creatures wanted to kill themselves he wasn't going to stop them. It was still scary to watch. That was until the ladies tossed aside their walkers and pulled zippers down their faces to reveal that they were the younger versions of themselves all along and perfectly capable of jumping up and down on diving boards at great heights and performing a trapeze act. Which they did.

Sam let out a breath of relief and the dogs barked in substitution for clapping. The younger Miss Spink and Miss Forcible continued their trapeze act and quotes Shakespeare as they did. Eventually they made their dive into the barrel that was left center stage for them. One balanced on top of the other as they re-emerged from the water. The dogs continued to bark with praise and the show came to an end.