Chapter 4 - A Life Saved

WARNING - gore and death

If Kaeya was to fulfil his purpose if a massacre ever spread, he must be stolen of everything precious to him. And there was one certain someone who had to be taken.

"Dainsleif," one of the guards said, "the king would like to speak with you."

Dainsleif nodded curtly, and dismissed the guard. Something isn't right. There is a pit in his stomach he can't seem to climb out of.

"Dainsleif..." the king started.

"Yes, my king?"

"You know of the danger that has been foreshadowed by Gold, correct?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"Well, Kaeya will be our saviour. Our messiah. But you know what is everyone's weakness?"

"What is it, my king?"

"People that are close to them. People that they'd consider dear and even risk their own life for. And do you know who is Kaeya's weakness?"

Oh no. Dainsleif saw what was coming. He gulped. "No sir?"

"You. Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made for the greater good." Kaeya's father whispered. Turning around. Kaeya's father took out a sword. A sword which was meant to be laced with Dainsleif's blood.

"Prepare for death, Dainsleif."

Dainsleif dashed. It was fortunate he was more swift than the old man hunting him down.

But Kaeya's father had already estimated all the advantages and disadvantages he had, so easily caught up to Dainsleif. His right eye brightened up as a light that could overpower the sun flashed. In a few split seconds, the king had Dainsleif by the neck.

"How pitiful." Kaeya's father mocked. The grip on Dainsleif's neck tightened, as Dainsleif choked. So... this is the power a Khaenri'ahn royalty holds. Why have an army then if they have this much strength?

Dainsleif was put down. What? Is this man dumb? At least I can try escaping. Dainsleif jerked his leg.

It didn't move.

Oh.

"I'm not dumb. If you think I was going to let you free, you are terribly wrong. You are just as foolish as Kaeya. Goodbye, Dainsleif. It was nice having such a reliable and trustworthy member of my army."

Dainsleif waiting for the plunge of the sword, but it didn't come. He opened his eyes.

There Kaeya stood in front of him. The sword was impaled in his stomach, as blood sputtered out.

No. This couldn't be happening.

It was fine though, right? Kaeya's 'father' could easily revive him. He won't be dead for long.

"Eelg." Kaeya gasped, with the last breath he took.

Dainsleif knew what he had to do. He had to act fast.

Kaeya's father had a satisfied expression, but not fully satiated.

"Stupid child. This is what I meant be being willing to risk their own life for another. As for you..." Kaeya's father said, his hawk like gaze now on Dainsleif. "You must be killed. You must die."

Oh, no he wasn't going to die.

Speeding out of the room and through the corridors he knew so well, he sprinted, not daring to catch a glimpse of anything behind him.

He could feel the presence of someone. It must be Kaeya.

At least he is watching me right now.

Soon, Dainsleif reached the haven, his and Kaeya's special place. How he didn't get caught, he didn't know. Kaeya was most likely attempting to propel his father back within the castle walls. Kaeya had told him about how when he dies, he feels like light is coursing through his veins, whilst he can sense and see the darkness in his father's body. So it must have worked. Light and darkness were a perfect example of opposites. One brings joy and life whilst the other brings dismay and death. It did fit their description well.

All he had to do was wait. Wait for Kaeya's father to give in and acknowledge that Dainsleif had won and he had lost. Dainsleif had escaped from his grasp, had won the race.

I'm not going back there. Not unless I want to commit suicide.

Dainsleif concluded that he would stay in the special place for now on, until he is needed. But he'll only help if Kaeya's father wasn't there, or anyone that would dob him in.

Oh.

Guess I'm never going back.

—5 hours later—

Dainsleif awoke to a ecstatic greeting.

"Dain! I'm back! Are y0u okay?"

Dainsleif jerked up, feeling relief and excitement fill him.

"Kae!"

The two embraced, each content to be within reach of each other yet again.

"Ahaha. You should have seen my master plan to get out of that hellhole. I was so elegant! I literally made no sound and no one saw me! It was like I was a ghost!"

Dainsleif chuckled, amused, listening intently as Kaeya described the rest of his journey.

"Hey Kaeya."

"Hm?"

"Were you the one who drove the old man away from me? I could feel your presence."

Kaeya grinned. "Oh that. Yes that was me. There was no way I would let his greasy hands touch you. It would be a stain to such a pure soul like you." At this, Kaeya winked at Dainsleif. Pride bloomed in Dainsleif's heart. Kaeya made him feel special. He always had. But to hear Kaeya call him a pure soul? He doubted Kaeya would ever recite that sentence again.

A moment of silence passed where both were reminiscing about their splendid times together in this place.

Hm. I owe Kaeya a debt now, don't I?

"Kaeya, don't do that ever again."

"Why?" Kaeya groaned. Inside, Dainsleif guffawed at Kaeya's childish behaviour. But of course, Dainsleif kept his stoic expression.

"I don't want you doing that to me again. If you keep on risking your life for someone as low-life as me, your father won't be so happy."

"If I didn't, you wouldn't be here right now!" Kaeya huffed, "don't say your low-life. Even if you think that, you should remember that you have the highest position in the army. Though... you probably won't have the job anymore after that whole fiasco. Forget about that job. You'll still be my favourite and high-ranked in my heart. Also, I don't care about that old bastard. Not after what he tried to do to you."

In all honestly, Kaeya still cared, but held a grudge against his father for his attempt at getting rid of Dainsleif forever. If he could, he would reprimand his father, but it was better not to risk it.

Kaeya was snapped out of his chain of thoughts when he heard the blissful sound of Dainsleif's laughter.

"Oh Kaeya. You're so cute."

Kaeya turned red immediately at this unexpected compliment. He ducked his head, trying to hide his bashfulness, but failing dramatically.

The two boys bantered, unaware of what was to happen.