Chapter 14 - Duties

It has become a daily routine for Diluc to give Kaeya the cold shoulder.

The way Kaeya strutted around not even doing his Cavalry Captain duties infuriated Diluc. How come his replacement was this arrogant and lazy?

Whatever. The Knights of Favonius were already inefficient as they were.

The said man made things even more difficult for Diluc whenever he visited the tavern. It would always be after his Calvary duties were supposedly 'finished', though Diluc doubted Kaeya ever did any of his tasks.

To make matters worse, Kaeya came to seduce patrons. Though, it was more than likely Kaeya would hit on a Fatui. His honey-coated words made things easy as hell. It was even more efficient than torturing victims by using 'Searing Hand' on them. And those hips. Those damn hips-

Wait. What am I thinking? He's just a traitor. A fraud. Nothing more.

Diluc internally reprimanded himself.

If he kept on going on like this, sooner or later Kaeya would catch up and realize something was wrong.

Diluc tended to the bar, arduously wiping glasses down and setting them aside.

Today was one of the most atrocious days. 

The tavern was filled with ruckus. It was cacophonous, what with so many drunk knights and patrons alike sitting everywhere Diluc laid his eyes on. 

Diluc wanted to internally scream and burn the place to the ground, but then he would be confined in one of Mondstadt's cells. But again, couldn't he pay his way out? Afterall, he was wealthy and-

What the hell is wrong with me today. Ugh. This day couldn't get any worse-

At that exact moment, as if on cue, the familiar footsteps approached him. 

Spoke to soon.

"One Death After Noon please." 

Kaeya's smooth voice cut through the air like a knife. The previously tumultuous room quietened into a hush. As always, Kaeya's presence was always attention catching.

Diluc glared at Kaeya and slid him a glass of grape juice.

Kaeya looked at the glass and sighed.

"You must be really mad at me, huh. What's put you into such a sour mood? The noise? My presence?"

Diluc stopped wiping the glass and set it down harshly, a thin line tracing through it.

"Finish your drink and get out."

A brief look of hurt crossed Kaeya's face but was replaced with a genial smile not even a millisecond after. If Diluc had blinked, he would have surely missed it.

"Huh. You really do hate me. Sure then. Cast me away like you always do."

Diluc was about to retort but then Kaeya stood up abruptly and left without touching the glass.

Diluc was shocked.

All these faces glaring at him...

Was it his fault?

No. That traitor is always to be blamed. Not a savior like him. Right?

Diluc cleared his mind and resumed to cleaning glasses, tossing the broken one into the bin.

The tension was still clear. Whenever Kaeya and Diluc quarreled, the aftermath was no different to when they had first begun. Of course, it wasn't as intense as it was when they were still arguing back and forth, but it was relatively the same.

Is it my fault?

No. Hmph. I should close the tavern and get going before I cascade into a never ending internal battle.

Diluc closed the tavern.

He donned his mask.

And then he set out.

--

Kaeya hated himself.

He hated everything.

Everything but Diluc.

It was ironic.

There were many suitors to chose from, many people who desired him. So why, why is he so desperate for someone who hates him so much they wouldn't regard him at all at times, when he could just run to someone who would spend all their lifesavings on him?

Heh. What did he expect. Of course the gods wouldn't favor him.

Kaeya walked down the familiar path to his homely abode. Once he reached the door, he put his left hand in front of him chest-height, and crafted his key. It was delicate yet sturdy. Turning the knob, Kaeya walked into his home. 

It wasn't exactly spacious, at least in Kaeya's opinion. Afterall, he had spent his childhood living in wealth. There was a couch, a glass table in the middle, one photo of a Calla Lily, and then his bedroom and the bathroom.

Kaeya slumped down on his bed. 

Apparently, the youngest Fatui Harbinger was going to 'visit' Mondstadt. Of course, if Jean could decline she would, but to sever their ties with the Fatui even just a fraction more would result in an outbreak of war, and with the shortage of manpower the Knights of Favonious were facing... Well, it certainly wouldn't look too good for them.

What was that Harbinger 'Childe' up to? Is he coming to play some foolish game like his very name suggests? Maybe 'Childe' is an alias to make him sound amicable and lenient, when he is in fact the exact opposite?

Whatever.

For the time being, he would just see how it plays out.

Afterall, he did have a plan if it was... necessary to put it into use.

--

The next day, Kaeya was going through documents when he heard a knock on his door.

"Come in."

The door opened and Huffman slid through. 

"What is it, Huffman?" Kaeya said, not looking up from his work.

"Sir Kaeya, Jean would like to meet you in her office at this moment. She says its of upmost importance."

Kaeya put down his quill. He set the documents in a pile neatly before dismissing Huffman.

"Very well. You may leave now, Huffman."

"Yes Sir Kaeya."

Once Huffman left, Kaeya stood up. 

Hm. It must be that Fatui Harbinger. If he already got into trouble... Hah. That'll be interesting.

Sauntering over to Jean's office, he opened the door and as expected, there sat the Fatui Harbinger.

Clearly, he sensed Kaeya's presence when he whipped his head around to take a look at who had entered. 

A bright grin spread across his face.

"Ah, Sir Kaeya. Thank you for coming on such a short notice. I apologize for the abruptness. I assure you, this won't take long."

"It's fine, really Jean."

"Great. I assume you've heard of the 11th Fatui Harbinger, Childe. He is rather lost at the moment. The guards walking around Mondstadt found him roaming around, clearly confused. I trust you will guide him around? You don't need to stay with him, just show him where everything is."

"Of course, Jean." Kaeya smiled.

Jean returned the gesture. 

"Thank you, Sir Kaeya. You are now dismissed."

Kaeya and Childe simultaneously stood up.

"Come on, Childe. Let's set off before you wonder off into a hilichurl camp."

Childe genially laughed.

"That would be no predicament. I am, after all, quite experienced in that matter."

Kaeya internally sighed.

Great, he was stuck with this douchebag... for presumably however long 'Childe' planned on staying.