Chapter 7 - A New Life

"Kae?"

"Yes Luc?"

"Do you have any secrets?"

Kaeya hesitated. It had been years since he met Diluc, and years since he first set foot in Monstadt. Diluc made him feel safe, and so did everyone he knew, contrary to the people in Khaenr'iah. Ever since his father accused Kaeya of killing his own mother, he had been an outcast. A nobody. But when he was around his sunshine, he was somebody. 

Should I tell him?

No. Not yet. One day I will, but not yet. I don't want him to see me as a threat.

"I... I do."

Diluc looked at him with obvious curiosity, but pushed it aside.

"That's fine. You don't have to share. Do you know why?"

Kaeya looked at Diluc, astonished. His eyes softened in admiration. His sunshine was always so understanding. Always.

"Why?"

"Because I have a secret too!"

"Really?"

"Yes!"

"Well, you don't have to tell me too, don't worry."

"Wasn't planning to."

The two laughed. Every day was a happy day. A new day filled with newfound joy.

If one day, when all is lost, and he leaves you, how will you react?

What.

HAHAHA. You are so naive. Did you seriously think that he would accept you for who you are? A traitor? A spy? A nobody?

Who are you?

Silly boy. I AM YOU.

Funny joke. Who are you really?

You imbecile, I already told you.

Yes, but that was obviously a joke.

Yes, but that was the truth.

It can't be. I'm the only one of me.

It can be. Khemia can achieve many unimaginable things, such as me.

Khemia? Did Gold create you?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Just tell me the truth!

I am.

No you're not.

I am. I can elaborate if you are so desperate.

Elaborate then.

I am you, Kaeya Alberich, but at the same time, I am not you. I am an individual but not. I am myself but not. I am you but not.

What's that supposed to mean?

Your eye is my existence. To be more precise, your right eye. Your father took your right eye and replaced it with an eye filled with khemia, filled with me, my soul. You are my host and I am the parasite. Though, of course, our roles should be reversed as you are clearly more of a nuisance than I.