Chapter 10 - A Secret Exchange

Note:

By the way, I changed Diluc's nickname from Luc to 'Luc. This is due to the fact that the Luc bit is taken from the end of Diluc's name, so I thought the apostrophes only made sense. Also, if you want to read this as platonic, please stop reading at the part where it says 'when the duo..."

"Time to set out!"

"Yes sir!" Diluc's men exclaimed. Kaeya, as usual, was the most excited out of all of them. He stood proudly amongst the others, shining like a star. He shone out; he was the Cavalry Captain's most trusted knight, his right hand man.

Diluc and his men set out. They were going to clear out a hilichurl camp along with another, and then finally patrol Monstadt. It was busy, excruciating, at least to Diluc's men (except for Kaeya). But they trusted Diluc enough to know that he would lead them to victory, that he would ensure they were safe and left alive and mainly unharmed. This was the fidelity commanded and received. That was all. It was that simple.

-

The abyss mage shrieked as Diluc dug his claymore into it's abdomen, piercing through layers and layers of cursed skin. Kaeya stared. He was no stranger to the cruelties of the world, nor how brutal the world could be. But this? This ached Kaeya's heart, although he was not the one facing Diluc's wrath. He knew that these were his people, but cursed. He had seen the horrors unfold over and over again. He had faced and seen it all. Nothing could remove the horrifying images from his mind. 

Maybe one day he'd be the one fighting Diluc. Maybe Diluc wouldn't accept him for who he was, or that the burden had been cast upon him without him having a say in it. Would he understand? Surely he would, right? But the way Diluc had menacingly slayed all these vengeful souls had set a dark shadow in his heart. If Diluc would not care to think of all the chaos and bloodshed he had committed to with his bare hands, would he call Kaeya a traitor for who he was? Would he disgrace and leave him like his father did? Would he hate him for not telling him? Would he?

Kaeya's train of thought was interrupted when Diluc whispered, "Kae."

Kaeya looked up.

"Are you alright? It seemed as if you were staring into Liyue." Diluc asked, concern seeping into his voice.

Kaeya smiled. At least for now, he could see Diluc's smile. At least Diluc accepted him, though unknowing of the truth. For now, Kaeya would live in the fairytale he wished to stay in forever.

"I'm okay. I was just thinking of a strategy to easily finish off the next hilichurl camp." Kaeya grinned confidently.

Diluc easily read through him.

It was a faux smile. Feigned.

Diluc chose to ignore it, at least for now. Later he could ask Kaeya why he seemed so... miserable.

"Okay then. Let's go to the next hilichurl camp!"

Diluc's men cheered, and followed him to the next hilichurl camp. Whilst Kaeya, at Diluc's side, pondered thoughtfully. 

Diluc cared about him. Diluc knew and trusted him. He would never leave him. He would always see the bright smile Diluc always wore whenever he caught sight of him, no matter how moody  he was. There was no way he would ever abandon him or hate him. Ever.

-

The abyss mage stared at him and Diluc intently. It's gaze full of rage and hatred. Diluc returned the glare.

"Charge!" Diluc shouted, already charging with his claymore. 

Kaeya summoned his sword. It was time to do what he did best. 

Fight.

Kaeya swiftly finished off the hilichurls, and stared in adoration at Diluc. His easy strength was always inspiring. How he lifted a claymore, Kaeya had no clue, but all he knew was Diluc was strong, one to be feared.

Kaeya shut up. Go help him.

Kaeya tsked at himself. How could he just stand there and watch? Though his aid was soon proved useless when Diluc executed the final blow. 

If looks could kill, everyone would certainly be dead by now. The loathe in his eyes was unfathomable in extent, and nobody but Diluc knew what he was thinking at that moment. For a while he just stood there, pleased and admiring his own work. When he lifted his head, everyone shuddered at the mere thought of seeing such a glare, but they received a grin. It was amicable and lenient. You wouldn't think the man he was before was the man standing before them, but it was evident he was.

"Great job! Now all of you can leave and go to your families. Kae and I will patrol Mondstadt."

The men bowed to him. 

"Yes sir!"

Once the other knights had left, Diluc turned to Kaeya and held his hand. 

"Let's set off, shall we?"

"Yeah, let's go."

-

When the duo arrived at Mondstadt, Diluc dragged tugged at Kaeya's collar so that he would follow him. Despite Kaeya's shock at being manhandled, he quitely obeyed, unquestioning of Diluc's actions.

"Kae, there is something I have been keeping a secret from you for a long time." Diluc explained once they reached a dark alley. He was pinning Kaeya to the wall. In all honestly, Kaeya found this hot.

"Hm? Are you planning to tell me?" Kaeya asked, folding his arms over his shoulders. 

Diluc gulped. 

"Yes."

Kaeya stared at Diluc expectantly. 

Time passed at Kaeya slightly grew impatient. Why wasn't he saying anything?

Diluc was a man of actions, not words. For a while, he pondered on how to phrase the sentence he so desperately wanted to say, but every single one sounded to clique, but wasn't that the situation they were currently in?

Keeping a firm grip on Kaeya's collar, his mouth collided with another.

It was a clumsy, light kiss. Both were evidently inexperienced, and so this kiss wasn't as romantic as it should have been. nevertheless, it was romantic to the two participants.

Kaeya was shocked at first, but soon melted into the kiss.

Once they broke apart, both gasping for air.

Kaeya giggled.

"Diluc, was it so hard to say?"

Diluc scoffed.

"Well, of course it was. Every feasible way to say it was trite."

"Hah. No matter then, I still got the message."

"You evidently did."

Kaeya laughed.

"Embarrassed?"

"Yes, at the way we kissed."

Kaeya put a hand to his chest and gasped, feigning hurt.

"Why, are you calling me unfit?"

"Yes, in the art of kissing."

"As if you have any right to say that."

"..."

"..."

"What's up with this awkward silence? Weren't we just talking about kissing?"

"Hah, you're so funny, Diluc. I have no idea."

The two strolled through Monstadt, though keeping an alert consciousness on whatever was surrounding them, after all, it was still their work hour.

Though both were content with what they had shared. Both would keep it a secret, never to be revealed to any other as society would never accept their love for one another. Nobody would.