The Better Half

Helllooo dear readers,
I have been really sick for the last few days and hence couldn't reply to any comments on the last drabble. I am afraid the epilogue to Tripping Through Dimensions will get pushed back too because frankly, I don't even know if I have time to breathe between these cough fests.

Wrote this one a long while back, so tell me how you like this drabble.

PS- Have you all read the new story ideas I updated under the title Choice (in Dil Boley Rikara, my short story collection book)? If you haven't do check that out and tell me which story you are most excited for.

^^^^^^*^^^^^^

"I got an A on the assignment. What did you get Whitey?"

"I got an A+, Neeley."

Jhanvi Oberoi and Ritika Sharma laughed at their children then. How cute of them to call each other those nicknames and always compete! They would surely be best friends just like their mothers.

A few years later, their thoughts on the competition had changed to say the least.

"I dated Riddhima for a whole week. She's the hottest girl on campus, Whit-ey."

"I turned down the hottest guy on campus, yesterday. Jata-dhari."

"This has escalated for worse." Ritika finally admitted fault.

"And now none of us can do anything. Hopefully they'll grow out of it." Jahnvi hoped.

That did not happen. Because even at twenty six, they still fought about simple things.

"I was the one who made that pitch. Can you believe it? I got us our first client yesterday."

"That was because I was the one who created that marketing pitch. I was also the one who proofread your speech and made changes."

"Omkaara, beta how are you and Ishaana going now? Getting married soon?" Ritika asked Omkaara to get his attention back to the dinner table and off the fight for the best that he engaged with her daughter in.

"No aunty. Marriage is for my forties. There are many things I need to beat Gauri in before I get married." Omkaara answered giving Gauri a side glance.

"What about you Gauri? Met someone to your liking yet?"

"Naah, Jhanvi Maa. I think it's cats for me forever." Gauri played with her food, visibly upset.

"I told you not to call my mother Maa." Omkaara picked a fight with her again.

Gauri huffed before she glared at him. "That was already done and over with at eighteen. We decided we can call the other's mothers whatever we want. Because Maa sabki hoti hai."

"Still, this is the reason Ishaana always gets insecure around you."

"Well that is because she is just like you. You both get insecure about my amazing credentials."

"Who are you kidding? I don't get insecure around you!"

And as that fight drowned on Ritika and Jhanvi decided that maybe somethings are just not meant to change.

.

"You broke up with Ishaana!?"

"She broke up with me!"

"How dare that little bit-" Gauri cut her words short as she asked. "Wanna grab a chai at our favourite spot?"

Omkaara didn't answer but Gauri dragged him along anyway as she called out to her mother, "Maa I am taking Omkaara on a walk."