You Belong With Me

My breath fanning her neck, I asked, "Wanna get out of here?"

She turned and gave me the red lipped smile. I had seen her around my friends before but had never been introduced. Not that I would remember her name if I was. I had a sneaking suspicious that it started with a G or R.

"So we're gonna keep it caz?" She asked and I regretted that moment in the crowded club again. This is why you don't pick up blondes in a club, especially blondes you haven't spoken a word to. I cringed as I tried to nod and get back to kissing but she had other plans.

"I have been waiting for you to notice me, you know. Ever since that eye contact."

I sighed. Talking to girls always made them less attractive. That's why I liked to pick them up in a bar and drop them in a hotel bed before exiting. Running a hand through my hair, I tried again. Last try.

"Let's focus on getting you out of that tight dress right now," I whispered before gently kissing her neck.

"This is my first time."

I backed off, took my jacket and yeeted out of the door. Nope, that complicated virgin was better off without me. Virgins turn me off big time. It is the fact that they blush every second and expect fireworks without putting any effort. I had only been with one virgin in my life and I know how to learn from my mistakes.

"Room 102. I am checking out but let the lady stay the night." I told the young guy on the reception before turning to leave.

Only to stop midway when I heard a soft, melodious voice, "Woah! This one had to be hot! Only lasted a second, Omkaara?"

I grinned before I turned to face the shortie. She was behind the desk, looking as she always looked. Boring and Dependable.

"I didn't get to start." I smirked before sitting on the reception. I knew she wouldn't mind because barely anyone came to the hotel at midnight and those who did, were usually too drunk to mind a man sitting there.

"Ah! What was it this time? Didn't smell good, didn't shave or the golden virgin?"

"The last one." I sighed heavily.

"Hop inside. I'll take care of you."

"People might think you're offering, Chulbul."

"Stop calling me that. I was desparate back then. It's Gauri."

"So desperate that you changed into a guy to befriend me. God, you must be in love with me."

"I was young and stupid then."

"You still look young and stupid."

"And you still are the Casanova I can never get. Are we done stating facts?"

"You still want me."

"Not like a husband but I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious."

"Curious?"

"Well most ladies that walk out of that room of yours are limping and glowing. And some insist on sharing extra information. So, yeah, I am curious." She shrugged.

"When did you stop loving me?" I asked a little sad. I loved her attention even back then in college but it was never worth it because she would get attached.

"It doesn't matter, Omkaara. Now, drink up." She offered me my favourite brew. She always made me coffee before I left. I didn't know why but it always tasted good, better than the one in the hotel cafe.

"So, you did stop loving me."

"A part of me will never stop loving you but I know better than hoping." She said with a sigh and my breath got caught in my throat.

"I-"

"Push me away, Omkaara. I know you're about to do it. Do it maybe then, it will stop hurting so much."

"Gauri-" I started but stopped when she gasped and looked at me shocked.

Shit. Did I mess up her name? No, it was pronounced the way I said it, I was pretty sure.

She shook her head and the tears magically disappeared. Her eyes were slightly red but her makeup still looked perfect.

"It's okay, Omkaara. I knew what I was getting myself into when I started this. Don't blame yourself. You've got enough stuff to deal with without me adding to your problems."

"I am sorry. I can probably-"

"Don't. Omkaara. We both know where we will be heading if you try to fuck me out of your system or suggest I do that."

"But-"

"I knew you had issues when I fell in love with you. And I knew you had issues when I continued to fall and offered no resistance. It's only fair I live with it for the rest of my life."

I stared at the girl in front of me with contempt. I didn't know why I said it but I did, "Marry me, Gauri."

She didn't jump in my arms. She slapped me instead. "I am married, you fool."

"What?"

"You think my parents would let me work this late. Thank God Arjun is a liberal husband."

"What? But you said-"

"I said a part of me, Omkaara. A part of me will always love you. You were my first love afterall."

"But what about your husband?"

"I love him and I am loyal to him. With him it's the convenient kind of love, the kind that happens a little every day when he brings me coffee in bed. And the kind that grows when he drops by to wish me goodnight before going to sleep."

I needed to get out of there. It was as I walked through the open doors that I realised how much I missed Chulbul. The girl who simply smiled after I rejected and humiliated her. The girl who simply whispered to me, "You Belong With Me. You'll realise that sooner or later."

I realised but I did so too late. Damn you Mom, thanks for leaving me as a child and starting all of the circumstances that led to me losing the girl who made me feel like I belonged. But, a marriage was just a contract that could be broken. After all, Gauri, You Belong With Me.

"Why did you lie?" Asked Arjun the young guy beside Gauri.

She ruffled his hair as she said, "I've waited for three years of college and five years here, total eight years. I am not going to settle with a half assed proposal in my work uniform."

"What if he never asks?"

"He will. Omkaara wants everything that he can't have. He'll definitely want me. I am sure he is searching for an Arjun to murder tonight."

Arjun gulped before holding his locket in his hand. "Why do you gotta snitch on me like that, di?"

"Sorry, bro. I needed him to realise that this was serious. He would've broken off the marriage in the courtroom otherwise."

"How do you know for sure?"

"I just do. Now, let's watch him convince me that we belong together."

***********

I think this is the first proper drabble I have written. Tell me your thoughts.