A Happy Day

This is a drabble containing characters and story from my five shot series, Dil Boley Oberoi.

Enjoy!

Gauri sat still with her hair falling back half curled half straight waiting for her Jatadhari to free the mirror.

"How much longer are you going to take, Jatadhari?"

"Just a minute and then I'll straighten up your hair."

Gauri huffed as she looked down at her broken arm with disdain. The fault was hers for falling face first from the third stair in an attempt to chase after Kavinash. The fifteen year old had been going out without breakfast for the third time in the past week, which was his first week in the house. So, Gauri being the motherhen she was tried chasing the taller child only to trip over her feet and fall and break her right hand.

"Hurry na Jatadhari. I need to pray too."

"You aren't moving out of the room." A voice called out sternly from the door to their room and Gauri watched in wonder as her son entered their room on his own accord for the first time.

"Do you need something, Kavi? Oh, right. You might need your bag. I am sorry I just washed it yesterday because it looked like it needed a wash. You don't need to worry. I won't be touching your things anymore."

Kavinash took a deep breath, trying to stop himself from hurting this woman again. In a way she reminded him of a certain victim of his, the one who had changed his life. And maybe that's why he has always pushed away this woman because he knew he didn't deserve it. And because he was afraid she would get hurt just like his last victim did.

"Why are you hogging up the mirror?" He scorned at Omkaara, taking the straightener from the dresser after shoving his father to help his mother do her hair.

"Like this?" He asked Gauri who nodded through teary eyes not realising that her son had been holding onto the straightener too long on a very thin strand.

Omkaara looked away from the touching scene when his nose tingled with a burning smell. "Kavinash, you're burning her hair!" He exclaimed to the wide eyed child who immediately let go of the strand looking at the burnt strand with a mixture of wonder and shame.

Gauri laughed as she used her left hand to guide Kavinash's hands into straightening her hair.

Omkaara looked at the two smiling and decided that it was time for a family portrait.