Chapter 10

I am lying on my back as I stare up at the darkness that fills our hut. There is no moon in the sky tonight and the border fires are too far to even cast shadows inside our hut. I should be asleep but my mind is too busy, I cannot get today out of head...

The sun had passed its midday height and the wind was slowing down into a swift cool breeze, we were sitting in a comfortable silence when I felt her back slack and her full weight lean into me.

My sister fell asleep and I couldn't bring myself to wake her up, so I angled myself so that her back leaned into my chest and my arms went around her back and chest to interlock around her shoulder, besides it didn't feel right to move and wake her up, I wouldn't even know what to say to her, so I left her to her blissful slumber.

When the sun began setting, and the blue sky started turning into a hue of red and orange, I knew evening was upon us and I would inevitably have to wake her. Thankfully before I had to wake her I saw Bhekumuzi, Nokubonga' s brother in law walk by. I waved him over and when he saw us he simply shook his head and chuckled.

I thought he would wake her up but he simply motioned for me to keep quiet and he set his weapons on the ground, knelt down next to us and put his arm under her legs and lifted her into his arms. She barely woke up when he lifted her, she was clearly very tired and woke up just enough to put her arm around his neck and then continue sleeping.

For a split second, I thought I saw him give her a look I've only seen Baba give uMa very few times in my life, it was soft and affectionate but deeper than that. Before I could finish studying his expression it was gone, he looked up and blinked it away.

I stiffly got up, I could hear my knees and elbows cracking as I stretched from sitting still for too long. I picked up his weapons and her basket which was still sitting on the riverbank, and decided that I would come back for the skins later. I followed him walking towards Nokubonga's hut.

The wind had gone down enough for the walk to her hut to feel pleasant. I walk behind Bhekumuzi, for various reasons, the one being that he has longer legs and I simply cannot keep up with him. I am also avoiding awkwardly walking next to him since I'm not much of a talker with people I'm not close to.

But mostly I am just enjoying the view of him walking in front of me, I am not blind and unfortunately, I cannot stop my eyes from taking in his appearance.

He is tall, the top of my head does not even reach his shoulders. His broad strong back, and his thick, firm thighs like tree trunks, his steps are sure, and unesizotha (he walks with dignity) .

I can't explain it, something about the combination of his physical appearance and the way he presents himself is .... mouth watering. Not only that, he is a warriors in our tribe, obviously, but he was also one of the few people in the village who were amused when he heard about my fight noBaba

I keep glancing up at his back muscles and his arms straining from lifting my heavily pregnant sister and not once has he complained. I am seriously ashamed because escpecially considering what my sister told me today, and yet I seemingly cannot stop my self from shamelessly drooling over him.

Almost too soon, we were at her hut, he went in and to lay her down as I wait outside, he came out and I gave him their things. Without even looking up at his face, I thanked him and proceeded to sprint back to the riverbank, where I hauled the now dry skins back to nyanga's hut.