Chapter 15

It's been a week since he urinated on himself, he still hasn't said a word to me. He passed out  and when he woke up, two days later, he still refused to speak to me so I have no idea whether he remembers what happened or not.

I've had to call Inyanga twice since then when his illness flared up, I'm still unclear as to what his illness he has but everytime we think he's getting better, he takes a turn for the worst.

We've treated him as best we can but the look on the Nyanga's face on the last visit told me that she doesn't think he's going to live. I've barely slept the past few days, trying to ensure he does not choke on his own vomit or make sure that he's actually breathing at night.

On the bright side he's been eating more, sometimes his brother feeds him, other times he feeds himself. Otherwise he doesn't seem to be responding to any of the herbs we give him. I guess its just a matter of time before he passes...

We've been alone all morning, his brother left last night and hasn't returned to check on him since. I know he understands our tongue, his facial expressions when we speak give him away. I've also noticed that he seems content being comfortable, as if he too has resigned himself to the fact that he will die soon.

So why bother with the journey? Why venture to a foreign land only to die amongst stangers? I fail to understand the reasoning behind it but I doubt they would open up to me about it so I continue to tidy up around the hut.

I hear him wheeze and that turns into a dry cough. I turn to get a pot of water then walk over and kneel at his side, "phuza"(drink), this time he doesn't hestitate, drinks deeply. "You should have told me you were thirsty", I don't mean to scold him but he if he persists in acting like a child, I will treat him like one.

Once he is done, I look him over. His skin is losing its colour and he remains sickly thin. I want to help but since both he and his brother refuse to speak to me, I can only treat him to a point.

I stand up and move away from him, "Ngiyabuya"( I'm coming back), I leave him alone as I carry a half empty pot of water outside. The last time we wiped him down was a few days ago and even though he doesn't more around, he is begining to stink so I need to wipe him down soon.

The sun seems to be hidden behind the clouds today, a slightly chilly breeze is blowing from the south, but the birds are still chirping away and the leaves on the some of the trees have started to fall, autumn draws near and with it the heavy rains come closer.

I greet everyone I pass on my way to the closest fire pit. It has been a while since I have seen or spoken to anyone outside of Mtembeni, yes my uncle has decided to name him since they won't tell us their names.  My patient is Mtembeni, it means trust in him and his brother is Sthembiso which means promise.

I approach a fire that is been tended to by Hlengiwe, she is a young girl I've seen around the village but am not that familiar with her. Her eyes widen as she's  me and she stands up to greet me, "sawbona Nkosazana, unjani ekseni?" (Goodmorning Princess, how are you this morning?), "I am glad to be alive and how are you Hlengiwe?", she smiles as if shocked I know her name.

I return her smile, she is about my brothers' age and that's how I know her name. Both my brothers seem to be enamoured by this chubby little beauty.  "I can't complain, how may I help you?", "I just require some of your warm water please".

She nods and immediately takes the clay pot in my hands and starts to decant some of the water into another pot. I watch her move around gracefully, she is going to be a beautiful young woman. She is fair with beautiful glowing skin, her demeanor makes everyone around her comfortable and relaxed.

I hope she won't cause a rift between my brothers, that would be history repeating itself in the worst way. In fact I'm sure that would be enough to convince me that our family is cursed... men!