Part 23: Unwrapped

Hey fabulous readers! 10K + reads! Thank you so much! You guys are amazing. I wanted to tell you guys that since the most important chapters have started, I don't want to rush and write them in a lousy manner. So I will be updating only one or at the most two chapters per week. I don't want to rush into writing something that will build the essence of this story.

I want to dedicate this chapter to a dear friend who has been very encouraging and loving. Thank you so much VishakhaKohli18 for your love.☺

Enjoy reading! Vote and comment if you like the story.☺

Brianna's POV

I could feel the sweat trickling down my cleavage. The vents in the office did not provide enough ventilation by my measures, because I felt like I could pass out. A few strands of my hair were stuck to my sweaty forehead and my hands were shivering with fright. I had practiced this moment a million times on my way here, but facing this person in charge was kind of unwinding me. She was a big lady. Her blonde hair were cut in a perfect bob which I felt didn't suit her line of work. I had spoken to information about this, but retrieving records is a tricky task. One actually needs written approval from the person they belong to or let the person be present himself. I had neither Alex nor his approval with me. All I had was the stupid fake court order with a page of Alex's personal information including his social security number. Alex taking Burke's company really did a number on him. The court order looked very real and I wonder how he got it done without attracting attention to himself. He had it planned on his side and had sent me there blind. I had nothing to say. I had no plan about how the conversation would go. I was going to throw a bluff in her face and hope for her to buy it. I was sitting in the small makeshift seating area that was arranged only when too many people put requests.

I stood up and strode hurriedly to the woman's desk. I was taking a huge risk giving my own name, but what other choice did I have? My name was associated with Alex and using my name for getting her to believe that I had Alex's approval, was my best shot. I had to be confident and pull this through in one go, because I simply couldn't try again. I couldn't miss the scrutinizing glare that the blonde threw at me. I stabilized my demeanor and held up straight, flashing her the sweetest smile I could wind.

"Hi! I'm here to collect a file on behalf of Mr. Armenti."

She raised an eyebrow and held the look. Her stylish glasses sat on the bridge of her nose while she eyed me up. I was sweating harder, which was making it more difficult for me to keep a normal face.

"And you are?" she asked, shifting her weight on another leg and crossing her arms across her huge chest.

"I am Brianna White, his assistant. He sent me here as he is in a meeting. If you could give it faster, I'll let him know how helpful you were, um..."

"Glenda," she informed and I glanced at her tiny name tag.

"Yes, Glenda, I'll let him know how helpful you were. My boss is very generous."

I chuckled at her and she held her stoic expression, drumming her nails on the wooden desk. I cleared my throat.

"Armenti who?"

"Alexander Armenti," I whispered and handed her the court order and his Alex's information. She stopped the drumming and stood up straight. Her eye raising also raised my heart rate. She kept glancing between me and the court order.

She's called the bluff! Run, now.

I took a step back while she was checking something on the computer and turned around to leave.