Part 28: The Story Of Hate And Love

Hey fabulous readers! Last chapter to this book. I want to thank you guys for the amazing comments, votes, posts on my profile and the thoughtful personal messages. Your support made me want to make this story better. I love you all. :* Enjoy reading. Vote and comment if you like the story.

Brianna's POV

I pulled away from Alex to look at the bruised Chloe. I had thought that if I'd ever see Chloe again, I would bring her down like she'd never thought I would. But, when I saw her standing there with her auburn hair all tangled, all I could see was the girl who giggled at my stupid jokes, who waited every single day to have lunch with me and sneaked in miniature bottles of wine for us at work. And to think that Alex brought her here. She was his phone call? The one after which he ran in haste?

I just took a step back and directed myself back to the couch. I sat down and David stood up at the same time. Ellie had already left for work. I was wondering if David had called her.

"What is she doing here, Alex?"

I asked, almost whispering. I felt him standing next to me as I couldn't look up at him. I was facing away from him, trying to gulp down the disappointment.
I didn't want to forgive Chloe and the best way to do that was to avoid looking at them.

Alex sat next to me and pulled my chin to make me face him. I pulled my gaze to him and saw a hint of a smile on his lips. He had a sparkle in his eyes that I hadn't seen in days. I switched my gaze between Chloe and Alex and asked,

"What on earth is going on with you two?"

"She didn't do it, Brianna. She never betrayed you."

She didn't do it.

As those golden words of relief registered in my mind, I looked at Chloe, who had tears in her eyes. I walked to her in two short steps.

"You didn't do it?"

She slowly shook her head no. I wasted no time to pull her in my arms. We didn't cry while we hugged because it would contradict what we were feeling. After what seemed like several minutes, we pulled away and sat on the couch.

She flinched when she felt the soft cushion against her back.

"Where were you and how did you end up like this?"

"Burke had me kidnapped and he stole the records from me. I'm sorry Bree, this is my fault. I should have been more careful."

My mind paused for a minute when Chloe spoke. Chloe was kidnapped and we thought that she had betrayed us. Burke really crossed the line in every way. First Alex and now Chloe.

"How?"

"Remember I went home that day with the records? I was going to meet Zach, but I don't know why I felt dizzy in my apartment lobby. I hadn't eaten anything there so I don't know how they managed to do that. Next thing I know, I'm in a closed warehouse. The records weren't with me and I knew what was going on. My phone was missing too. Burke made an appearance trying to bribe me into giving a false statement about you both."

I just stared at her with my nails digging into my palms. Chloe sighed and went on,

"He said he'd give me money and bail if I turned myself in after blaming everything on you guys. He said that I must tell them this was your plan and it worked, but I took the money and ran."

I couldn't stop myself from hugging her tight after that. She cringed in response and I realized that Chloe had bruises all over her.

"What is all this?",
I asked, gesturing to her bruises.