6. "I'm sorry."

The time just between autumns and winters was usually ruthless with biting cold and freezing gusts of wind that pierced at your eyes. Friends, family and lovers alike huddled close together enjoying the warmth of each other and their sweaters.

Niki found this period especially romantic. He decided it was the perfect time to take Niki out on a little date; slightly different this time.

Sunoo ❤

Hey

I'm taking Bisco for a walk

You wanna come?

Hi~

Of course

Where do I meet you?

At the park

I'll be waiting :D

--

"Niki!" Sunoo smiled as he waddled towards his boyfriend in the cold.

"Hello, beautiful," Niki smiled while stroking Sunoo's cheek with the back of his hand. Sunoo gave into the caressing for a second and then swooped down to scoop up Bisco in his arms.

"You're cute and all, but Bisco is cuter," Sunoo joked, receiving a dozen kisses from Bisco as if in return for the compliment. Niki's lower lip pushed out in a pout, and for a second, Sunoo had a strong urge to kiss the pout away, and he nearly did, before Niki's voice snapped him out of his daydreaming.

The couple and the dog strolled around for a bit, engrossed in small talk. After Bisco had gotten tired, they all sat on a nearby bench, watching the autumn leaves fall off branches and lay a carpet of brilliant red hues on the ground.

As the conversation went along, it strayed away to their letters, which was something Sunoo would have loved to avoid.

"...so I had to keep a list of pickup lines stocked up," the younger boy laughed.

"Mmm," Sunoo replied dryly, picking at the skin around his nails. He did that whenever he was nervous, and Niki noticed.

He reached his hand out slowly and took Sunoo's in it. "Did I say something I shouldn't have?" Niki was puzzled. What could've triggered this sudden dullness in Sunoo?

"No, it's... it's alright. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry, alright?"

Sunoo felt a pang of... something. He didn't know what it was, but it choked him up, nearly making him fall to shambles right in Niki's arms. He inched closer to Niki — who now looked extremely concerned — so that there was no gap between them.

"I'm sorry," he whispered again, laying his head on Niki's shoulder.

The younger boy had no idea what to feel. He felt sad for Sunoo, he felt angry at himself for not being able to do anything about his boyfriend being sad, and he felt this weird tension because of the close proximity in which they were seated.

"If you wanna talk, I'm here for you, alright?" Niki soothed, giving the older's hand a gentle squeeze. He nodded in response and mumbled something along the lines of 'I love you'.

"Hm?" Niki responded, shocked momentarily. It wasn't as if he hadn't heard him, but he wanted to hear those precious words again and again.

"I love you," he articulated, a sigh escaping his lips.

"I..." Niki paused and slid his arm around Sunoo's waist. "I love you, too. So much."

Bisco seemed to not be liking the fact that he wasn't the centre of attention. He got up from his little nest on Niki's lap and lay right on top of Sunoo and Niki's intertwined hands, and curled back into slumber.

Sunoo chuckled a little and took a deep breath in. He smelt a lot of comforting smells. He smelt something very similar to old books and rose tea very close to him — he assumed it was Niki's cologne. What cologne smells that reassuring, though? He smelt the woodsy fragrance of the many trees around him, and he smelt petrichor, out of place, however, as it wasn't bound to rain anytime soon. Sunoo had never felt more comfortable with Niki around ever. There was always this aura of hesitation that stopped him from really getting close to Niki, and it really hurt him. There was so much that went unsaid between them, yet it felt as if there was nothing hidden.

Just as Sunoo and Niki were enjoying their moment, they were interrupted by Niki's phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"NISHIMURA RIKI YOU LITTLE ASSHOLE!" A female voice boomed over the phone.

"Ryu," Niki sighed, "What have I done now?"

"BITCH?! WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU? COME HOME AND HELP ME FIX DINNER, DOUCHEBAG!"

"Jesus Christ, alright alright. I'll be home, you piece of shit. Thanks for ruining my day by calling."

"Yeah okay get home now."

"I'm sorry, Sunoo. That was my sister. She said I have to go home now." Niki bit his lip and looked at Sunoo apologetically.

"That's alright. I'll catch up with you later. Maybe my house this weekend?" Sunoo offered.

"Sure," Niki agreed, getting up from his seat.

"See you," Sunoo smiled as he got up as well.

"Bye."

They both paused for a moment before instinctively stepping forward and engulfing one another in a tight hug that seemed to wash away their discomforts.

"I love you," the younger boy whispered into Sunoo's ear, his lips brushing against the lobe slightly. The latter shuddered slightly and smiled.

"I love you too."

After Sunoo reached home and took off his sweater, his nose was tickled once again by the same comforting aroma of old books and rose tea. He smiled to himself as his eyes wandered onto the sleeve of the white sweater covered with strands of light brown fur; Bisco's. His lips crept into a smile and his mind wandered, reminiscing the past few hours he'd spent with Niki and Bisco.

 His lips crept into a smile and his mind wandered, reminiscing the past few hours he'd spent with Niki and Bisco

--

Hi omg are you surprised that I'm still alive??

Anyway- how'd you like this chap? :>

[PS: publishing error- if it showed up twice in your notifs as 'untitled part 9' and '6', it's the same chapter not different things]