11. finale

The week went by quickly, and the date of the dance arrived. All the seniors had set up their rented hall with dazzling colours and decor before the party began.

Sunoo was freaking out about tying his tie properly. He didn't want it to look like he was in uniform, but he didn't want to leave it completely loose and look like a rowdy. 

"Niki, what do I do?!" Sunoo asked, his nimble fingers fiddling around his collar for the umpteenth time.

"Good lord, Sun. It looks alright, baby. Leave it the way it is."

"But it needs to be perfect for the polaroid in my phone case," the older pouted. 

The purple-haired boy rolled his eyes and sighed. "Why don't you ask your father? Maybe he could help?"

The blonde's eyes widened. "That's a great idea," he voiced, shuffling out of the door, down the stairs into his father's study.

"Help with my tie?"

And sure enough, his father did it perfectly, exactly how Sunoo wanted it. He squealed in ecstasy and thanked his father multiple times before bouncing off back to his room. 

"Perfect," the younger complimented, smiling wide. "Shall we get going then, now that you've fixed your tie?" Niki asked, getting up and offering Sunoo his arm to hold like they did in movies where the couple is going for prom and walking down the stairs. 

"Aww, my babies!" Sunoo's dad gushed, taking pictures left right and center of his son and his boyfriend. 

"Dad~ that's enough! We're going to be late!" Sunoo whined through his camera smile. 

His father obliged with a light chuckle and told both boys to go and enjoy their time. 

"AND, WALKING THROUGH THE DOORS RIGHT NOW IS HIGH SCHOOL'S YOUNGEST, CUTEST COUPLE, KIM SUNOO AND NISHIMURA RIKI!" Jake and Jay announced through the speakers from on top of the DJ set. Some people clapped and cheered, fuelling their embarrassment even more. 

Everyone was having a blast around them; people huddled around the snacks table, shaking a leg on the dance floor and lounging on the chairs around the dance floor, immersed in casual conversation.

Both Sunoo and Niki were embarrassing shades of crimson as they walked hand in hand towards the bunch of chairs where their other friends were seated. 

"Hello, cutest couple," Jungwon teased, taking a sip of his sweet lime soda.

"Shut up," Niki growled, offering one of the two glasses of pink lemonade he was carrying to Sunoo after he sat down and sipped his own drink.

"It's a compliment," Jay replied with a shit-eating grin on his face, leaning back on his chair.

"Right," Sunoo mocked with a very definitive eyeroll. 

Soon, Sunghoon and Jake joined the group along with Heeseung who looked slightly dejected.

"What's wrong, Heeseung?" Jungwon asked, doe-eyed.

"Oh, it's nothing. Don't worry."

"Come on, don't say that," Niki pressed. As the youngest in the group, he felt some special attachment to the oldest and was hurt to see his brotherly figure like this. 

"I just seriously feel so single! Eventually, towards the end of the evening, every couple is going to be slow dancing and then later eating each other's faces in some corner or bathroom or the other. And it's going to be just me, the single potato wedge, downing more glasses of punch, then having to pee desperately hence walking to the bathroom only to walk into Aeri and Woohyun fuc—"