XI

"May God forgive me."
Father Angelo, Tooth and Claw

Penelope's reaction to the cold was halted when she faced down the end of a barrel. She smiled at the person on the other side and reached into the TARDIS to grab the Doctor.

"-to my thumb." She coughs and the other two finally see that they are surrounded by redcoats, not the rock and roll scene she had been expecting.

"1979, Doctor?" He grins at her sheepishly, trying to subtly pull her away from the few guns pointed at them, whilst simultaneously keeping his arms raised in surrender.

"1879. Same difference." The person who seemed like they took charge stepped forward, finally taking his own gun out of their faces to talk to them.

"You will explain your presence. And the nakedness of this girl." He gestured to Rose and Penelope sighed in relief, they weren't that suspicious. Until the Doctor opened his big mouth.

"Are we in Scotland?" Penelope's hand twitched and the Doctor was sure that he would've been slapped if she had been given the chance. If it wasn't for the blush that burned her ears at how nice his Scottish accent was, he would've already been bruising.

"How can you be ignorant of that?"

"Oh, I'm, I'm dazed and confused. Myself and the wife been chasing this, this wee naked child over hill and over dale. Isn't that right, ya timorous beastie?" Penelope felt her face heat up and ears begin to burn as she realised that he was calling her his wife. Meanwhile he had the biggest shit-eating grin on his face that he was glad she couldn't see. Rose was a little too busy responding to the man to realise that her two idiots were being idiots again.

"Och, aye! I've been oot and aboot." The Doctor's face fell and he instantly turned to her.

"No, don't do that." It was really hard for Penelope to hold in her laughs, even more so when Rose continued after giving the Doctor a confused look.

"Hoots mon."

"No, really don't. Really." The man, obviously tired of the three already, stepped forward again, demanding attention.

"Will you identify yourself, sir?"

"I'm Doctor James McCrimmon, and this is the darling wife Mary McCrimmon, we're from the township of Balamory. I have my credentials, if I may." He nods and the Doctor gets out the psychic paper, really selling the married couple look as he moved a hand to keep it on the small of Penelope's back. It was mainly so that he could reassure himself that she was still there after what happened with Cassandra, but also because he liked the way that the blush spreads from her cheeks, across her nose and then sets her ears on fire. She smiled politely as the Doctor nudged her to say something.

"Pleasure to meet you."

"As you can see, a Doctorate from the University of Edinburgh. I trained under Doctor Bell himself." The man looked at Penelope inquisitively.

"Your wife is English?" The Doctor nods, reassuring him.

"Yes, but don't hold that against her." She whipped her head round to look at him, preparing to smack him again when a voice sounded from the carriage behind the man.

"Let them approach." The man protests, but she repeats her statement with a firmness that gave her obvious superiority over him. He turned back, a little red with embarrassment, but he gave them orders on how to approach, not that any of them listened.

They approached and excitement bubbled up deep within Penelope as her knowledge of English History kicked in. The Doctor noticed and smiled wide and moved his hand to hold onto hers, slipping something to her, before leaning down to whisper to her.

"Put the ring on, and try not to freak out when you meet her." She nodded and subtly put the ring on her left ring finger, in a little daze as she smiled down at the silver ring that seemed to fit her perfectly. Also at the potential prospect of meeting Queen Victoria. "Mary, Rose, might I introduce her Majesty Queen Victoria. Empress of India and Defender of the Faith." The door swung open and the Queen sat there, regal and important.

Rose apologised for being so 'naked' in front of her and she turned to Penelope who greeted her correctly. "Your Majesty, it's an honour to meet you in accompaniment with my husband." She couldn't get rid of the giddy smile on her face when calling the Doctor her husband. The Queen noticed.

"How you long have you been married?"

"I apologise for my giddiness, we were only married recently and it's still processing that I get to be by his side as his wife." The Queen nods, buying her reasoning before turning to the Doctor.

She backed out of the conversation, staring at the ring as she fiddled with it and spun it around her finger. It was basic, silver and a perfect fit. It felt more like an engagement ring than a wedding ring, but she isn't complaining. Penelope always wanted to know what it was like to be married, but she was worried that she would meet someone like her father. For now she gets to pretend that she is in a happy marriage with James McCrimmon, someone who is the furthest thing from her father.

The Doctor taking her hand that was fiddling with the ring pulled her out of her own head, and she met his worried look. She smiled, showing she was fine, and let their hands fall between them. And they started to walk behind the carriage, Penelope having missed most of the conversation. Rose piped up about the assassination attempt and Penelope laughed a little in agreement, but used this time to show of her Historical knowledge.

"1879? She's had maybe six attempts on her life?" The Doctor looked at her impressed and gave her hand a squeeze.

"And I'll tell you something else." They both looked up to him, at which he smiled wide, "we just met Queen Victoria!" Rose started to laugh and Penelope joined in with her, giddy at the idea of meeting one of her historical icons.

"I know!"

"What a laugh!"

"She was just sitting there."

"Like a stamp." This caused Penelope to start laughing again, the Doctor having to pull her along. Rose gasped, sort of taking their attention.

"I want her to say we are not amused. I bet you five quid I can make her say it."

"Well, if I gambled on that, it'd be an abuse of my privileges as a traveller in time."

"Rose you shouldn't-" She ignored her ginger friend and upped her offer.

"Ten quid?" He shrugged, causing Penelope to shake her head.

"Done."

"You're both as bad as each other." Rose grinned.

"Okay Mr and Mrs McCrimmon." The 'married couple' smiled at each other, the Doctor letting go of her hand to wrap it around his 'wife's' shoulders. Penelope stuck her tongue out at the younger girl.

"Oh shut it you timorous beastie."