XXXII

"Dad."
Rose Tyler, The Age of Steel

They watched as Pete Tyler walked away, stopped by two figures running up to him. They engulf each other in a hug, before pulling away and making their way over to the three of them. It was Garrick and Jena. Penelope hated that she didn't feel relieved that they were okay, she felt nothing, these weren't her parents. Garrick nodded at the Doctor.

"The Army will be here quick as they can. The sad part is that I might even get a promotion out of this." Penelope nods.

"There's always Admiral." He nods, smiling at the girl. His face was kind, it made it harder to hate him. The Doctor wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

"Well, it was lovely to meet you both, good luck for whatever happens next." They both smile and Jena steps forward a little, taking her husband's arm.

"And to you, good luck for the future. And remember us when it comes to naming your children." She wiggles her fingers in the couples direction before pulling her husband away so that they could finally rest. Penelope was bright red, compared to the Doctor who managed to somewhat control his face.

"So.."

"I am not naming my child Garrick."

"Oh so you don't mind about having kids, just the name." She turned to him, mouth agape, he had grown too confident since getting her back. He laughed at her face and pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head. Letting go, he turned to address Mickey who was bringing over his suit.

"Here it is. I found it. Not a crease. Sorry Penelope, I have no idea where your clothes went."

"Oh it's fine, I can change in the TARDIS. It's not like anyones going to complain." The Doctor grinned wide, ignoring her comment.

"My suit! Good man. Now then, Jake, we've got to run. But one more thing. Mrs Moore. Her real name was Angela Price. She's got a husband out there, and children. Find them. Tell them how she died saving the world." He nods, pride swelling in his chest for his fallen friend.

"Yeah, course I will."

"Off we go, then." Mickey speaks up, scratching the back of his neck.

"Er, thing is, I'm staying." The three turned to face him in shock.

"You're doing what?" Rose laughed in disbelief, Penelope and the Doctor stepped back a little to give them space.

"You can't."

"It sort of balances out, because this world lost its Ricky, but there's me. And there's work to be done with all those Cybermen still out there."

"But you can't stay."

"Rose, my gran's here. She's still alive. My old gran, remember her?"

"Yeah."

"She needs me."

"What about me? What if I need you?"

"Yeah, but Rose, you don't. We had something a long time ago, but not anymore."

"Well, we'll come back. We can travel anywhere. Come and see you, yeah?" She turns back to the Doctor, hoping for the answer she so desperately wanted to hear.

"We can't. I told you, travel between parallel worlds is impossible. We only got here by accident. We, we fell through a crack in time. When we leave, I've got to close it. We can't ever return."

"Doctor." They shake hands.

"Take Rose's phone. It's got the code. Get it out there. Stop those factories. And good luck, Mickey the idiot."

"Watch it." Penelope was playing with her hands, her and Mickey weren't especially close, but it's never fun to say goodbye. He opens his arms for a hug and she moves forward, hugging the younger boy.

"You take care Mickey, someone needs to keep this world in check." He smiled into her shoulder before pulling back and pointing at the Doctor, who moved forward and took her hand.

"You make sure Penelope stays safe Doctor. Or you will have me to answer to." He laughs, Penelope hitting both men in retaliation.

"Always. Goodbye Mickey." He nods to them both and the Doctor leads Penelope inside, giving Mickey and Rose some privacy.

The TARDIS was alight again, and it warmed Penelope to see her so alive. She walked up to the console and tapped it lightly in hello. The Doctor watched her fondly, still a little concerned about her father. She turned to face him, leaning on the console, she had to admit the direct eye contact was concerning but at least she knew where he was looking.

"Alright, I'm guessing that Rose is going to want to see her mum so I'm going to go get changed." He sighed slowly walking up to her, leaning on the railing at the end of the walkway.

"Do you have to?" She smiles softly, walking away from the console, off down one of the many hallways, calling back to the Doctor.

"I'll make sure to keep it somewhere safe if we ever need it again."