XV

"Books! Best weapons in the world."
The Doctor, Tooth and Claw

Penelope was looking through books still, not aware of the conversation behind her. She tried to keep her senses sharp, but she was losing herself in the lines of each new book she picked up. The only thing she wishes for is time to sit down and read every book in this library, but she knows that she can't.

The hair on the back of neck pricks up and she turns around to the group. "It's too quiet." The Doctor turned to her, quickly catching on to how she spun the ring on her finger, knowing that she's using it to calm herself down. He walks over and takes her hand, leading her over to the group, making sure that she's close considering how stressed she seems to be.

He throws the stone back to the Queen and Penelope's jaw drops, "is that the Koh-I-Noor?" He hushes her, a proud smile on his face giving away his stern pretense.

"Yes dear, now, there's a lot of unfinished business in this house. His father's research, and your husband, Ma'am, he came here and he sought the perfect diamond. Hold on, hold on. All these separate things, they're not separate at all, they're connected. Oh, my head, my head. What if this house, it's a trap for you. Is that right, Ma'am?"

"Obviously."

"At least, that's what the wolf intended. But, what if there's a trap inside the trap?"

"Explain yourself, Doctor."

"What if his father and your husband weren't just telling each other stories. They dared to imagine all this was true, and they planned against it, laying the real trap not for you but for the wolf." A bit of plaster fell from the ceiling on Penelope's shoulder and the Doctor felt her hand squeeze his, looking for confirmation that they would be okay.

"It wouldn't happen to be that wolf there, would it Doctor?" He couldn't help the smile on his face at her tedious comments in the face of danger. The glass cracked, however, and he started to shout to get everyone out of the room.

"Out! Out! Out!"

They all leave the room, Penelope ensuring that everyone was out in front of her before sprinting behind them after the Doctor slammed the door in the wolf's face. They raced to the observatory, side by side, until Penelope ever so slightly slowed down.

It was obvious that she had slowed as the next thing she knew, the wolf stood above her, teeth bared and a low growl from within it echoing in her ears. She was vaguely aware of her own strangled scream, starting to call out to the Doctor, when a pan of water was thrown over the beast, causing it to run off.

Robert embraced the woman, who she now assumed to be his wife, as she tried to calm the erratic beating of her heart. Blinking back tears, the Doctor pulled her into his arms, resting a pale face on top of her head, still shaken from hearing her scream like that. Taking a few shuddery breaths, she turned to the woman, not letting go of the Doctor at any point.

"Lady Isobel, right?" She nodded and they shared a smile, scared and small. "Thank you so much."

They parted ways, heading off to the observatory like they had planned, Penelope trying not to be worried for the group of women they had told to run. They reached the door and Penelope finally felt safe, knowing that whatever the Doctor needed to finish this was on the other side.

"No mistletoe in these doors because your father wanted the wolf to get inside. I just need time. Is there any way of barricading this?" Robert stepped forward.

"Just do your work and I'll defend it."

"If we could bind them shut with rope or something-"

"I said I'd find you time, Sir. Now get inside." The Doctor grins, not quite understanding the sacrifice. But Penelope did.

"Good man." He tried to pull his girl along but she slipped out of his grasp, staying behind with Robert, promising to be right with him. She fiddled with the ring on her finger as Robert pulled a sword from the wall.

"Are you sure about this Robert? Your wife is waiting for you on the other side of this adventure." He readied himself, but she could see the questions swirling around his eyes.

"I need my wife to remember my honour, not my treason. What would you want your husband to do? To defend or to run?"

"I would want him back safe. The last thing I want is for him to think he has to die to protect me. Your wife has proven that she can protect herself, so just get back to her side." There was a shout from inside the room and a growl from the end of the corridor. She grabbed the arm of the man next to her, pulling both of them into the library and shoving both bodies to the side to allow full access to the wolf behind them.

The door was smashed to pieces behind them, Robert hovering over Penelope to try and protect her from the beast they both escaped. Neither of them saw what happened, but there was a bright light and then the Doctor was helping her up from the floor, checking her over with a worried gaze.

"Penelope are you okay? It didn't get you?" She was still a little frazzled, but melted into his touch, grateful for something real.

"I told you I'd be right with you." A soft smile crept up on him, knowing that the comment meant she was vaguely okay.

"But you're okay? It didn't bite you, or scratch you? You're all intact?" She held onto his upper arms, smiling softly to try and dispel his worry.

"I am okay Doctor. Are you okay? That door sent splintered wood everywhere." He laughed, pulling her into a hug, unsure how she could still worry about him after having a wolf chase after her, and then nearly kill her twice.

"We're all okay. Rose and her Majesty are okay, and Robert is, thanks to you." She pulled him close once more, taking that second that she wished lasted a lifetime to really hold him, and revel in the feeling of being held by someone who wanted her there. She pulled away, smiling at his confused face - he wasn't sure why she pulled him close, but didn't argue - before pushing him to go check on the Queen.

He did so, reluctantly, and Penelope turned to help up the man still in shock on the floor. He was pale and unsteady on his feet. 

"That- that thing would've killed me, you saved my life." She smiled softly at the man, who pondered her existence to the likeness of an angel, and escorted him out the room.

"Your wife saved my life, it was only right to save you in return. Let's get her back in your arms, Sir Robert."