Chapter 41

"Is he dead? Is he dead?" Humeyra kept repeating over and over again.

I sighed, leaning against the car window. We were going back to the apartment after the chaos that had ensued at the house. Farhan had to call in an ambulance and have Zain shifted to the hospital. He probably needed to get stitches on his head.

I was grateful to Fatima for practically saving my life and preventing a disaster from happening but Ayan wasn't. Infact, he got so mad at her that he stormed out in rage, taking her with him.

Farhan looked at his sister through the rear-view mirror. "No Humeyra. He's not. If anything, he'll probably leave the hospital tonight."

"What if he shows up at the apartment and tries to harm Mehreen?" She asked, her voice trembling.

"He won't harm her, so don't worry," Farhan assured her.

After we reached the apartment, Humeyra left to go lie her baby down. I plopped down on the sofa and rubbed my head.

"Hey, you okay?" Farhan's soft voice spoke as I felt him sit down next to me.

"I don't know when he became so obsessed," I muttered looking up at him. "I rebuked him and even slapped him. What do you think I did to make him become this way?"

"You didn't do anything," he told me, rubbing my back comfortingly. "It's him and his mind alone. It's not your fault. It was never your fault."

I sighed. Whatever happened should not have happened. It was all so horribly wrong.

Humeyra came back out and sat down on the opposite couch. This time, she looked at me.

"Listen, Ayesha I'm really sorry about what happened. At first I wanted to blame you but then I saw him become obsessed and-"

"Don't worry about it," I cut her off. "It's okay."

She nodded.

"So what is your plan now? What will you do?" Farhan asked.

"I don't know. I can't possibly stay with him anymore," she mumbled sadly. "I don't know where did things go wrong Farhan. I tried my best. I- I don't even know what- I did- to make him drift away," she couldn't stop herself from crying.

Farhan sat by her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders as she weeped. I felt so sad watching her like that. All because she loved a guy who didn't deserve it. He didn't deserve an ounce of her love.

Fatima and Ayan hadn't shown up the entire night and I wondered just where had they gone. No one was at the house and Humeyra and her child were with us at the apartment. Then where could they be?

After offering Fajr prayer, I sat at the kitchen table. There was a window overlooking the dark sky outside as the calls of prayers echoed in the background. I put some milk in a pan to make myself a cup of tea. Farhan was deep asleep because of the way he'd been staying awake constantly for days now. He woke up for Fajr, offered it with me and then went back to sleep.

As I looked outside while leaning against the countertop, a tiny voice behind me spoke.

"Could I have some too?"

I turned around to see Humeyra standing, a tired look on her face. I nodded, adding more milk. Pouring the tea in two cups, I slid into the chair opposite to hers.

"Thankyou," she mumbled, holding the mug with both her hands.

"Don't mention it," I answered with a smile. "How's Mehreen? I heard her crying."

She sighed, "She's so hungry all the time."

I smiled fondly, "She's so cute Ma Sha Allah."

At that, Humeyra smiled for the first time in days, "I know. She's the only one making me happy these days."