ONE

CHAPTER ONE
[THREE YEARS LATER]

_______

     THE LAST DROP WAS FILLED THAT NIGHT, no one ever slept in the Undercity, the night was always young since in some places, you could barely see daylight- and with that, came more customers. It wasn't like anyone minded, it just meant longer shifts. Amaya however, was huddled down in the basement, away from her responsibilities. It was often that she did this, sometimes those crowds were too much to handle, and this place was where she felt most at home- ever since hers was destroyed. The girl loved this basement, it was where her and her friends had the most memories.

"You're supposed to be working y'know, I cant keep covering for you, buttercup," Amayas head snapped up, she could recognise that voice anywhere, it was Vi. The one girl that could always make her knees weak, and her heart flutter. Vi was the person she always sought comfort from, and the person she looked for in every crowd, "you're sat in my chair too? The nerve of you," the pink haired girl teased.

"Vi- hi, I'm sorry, I just needed a breather," Amaya stated, apologetically, bowing her head slightly, "I'll head back up if you need me to,"

"Relax Maya, I'm just playing," Vi laughed, moving to sit next to the girl, who shifted over to make room, "I wanted to come talk to you, not send you back out there with sweaty old drunk men,"

"Is it about the job tomorrow? Do you think I'm ready yet?" Amaya asked hopefully, tomorrow the group were set to rob somewhere in Piltover, right under the enforcers noses. She had never been allowed to go with them to bigger jobs like this.

Vi stared at her, hesitating a little. The truth was, Amaya had always been ready for stuff like this, but Vi had been protective of the girl ever since Vander had shown up at The Last Drop with her, it was just an instinct to keep her away from anything that could harm her. But, this job was in Piltover, this was bigger than anything they had done before. Enforcers were at every corner. Clearing her throat, Vi said, "I think you are, only if you promise me something,"

"Anything," Amaya confirmed, gazing at the pretty girl.

"Just, promise me, that you'll stay by me. At all times, I want to be able to look out for you. Please?" Vi pleaded, staring back at Amaya, faces only inches apart.

"You know, you ought to let someone look out for you for once. We'd all be running around like headless chickens if it weren't for you, Vi." She replied, affection practically bled out of her words, and Vi sighed.

"Yeah, but that isn't your job-"

"I'd argue that it is,"

"Maya-"

"Vi."

"Just promise? Please, I want to make sure you'll be okay if everything goes to shit," The pink haired girl said, trying to keep eye contact with Amayas piercing eyes.

"Let's just compromise, if you promise to let me look out for you to, then I'll promise for you to do the same, okay?" She asked, jutting out her pinky, for Vi to link with hers. She hesitated for a split second, before complying, "see? that wasn't so bad," she giggled.

"Shut up, you couldn't let me the knight in shining armour? Just once?" Vi joked, narrowing her eyes and leaning back, and Amaya grinned.

"Vi, you've saved me more times than I can count. You've been my knight for years," she smiled, but then her smile quickly dropped, "wait- was that too cheesy?"

Vi laughed, it echoed through the room, "nah, it was cute," she said, lightly flicking Amayas nose, who was sat there, flustered and in awe, her ears felt warm, "you're blushing, buttercup."

"Whatttt?!! No I'm not... am I?" Amaya said quickly, feeling embarrassed.

"Come on, let's get back to work before Vander busts our asses," Vi stood up, holding out her hand for Amaya to grab onto, as if on cue, Mylo burst into the room, both girls yelped at the sudden sound.

"Hey losers, Vander said to stop flirting and come back, more people have come in," He stated, staring smugly at the girls, who had seem to be caught in a questionable position, "don't let me interrupt," he teased, before exiting the room.

Amaya and Vi stared wide eyed at the door, before silently agreeing to follow him out, and so they did.

• • •

Five minutes later, Amaya was cleaning empty glasses, eyes down, fully concentrated on the task at hand. So concentrated that she didn't see Mylo and Claggor creep up behind her.

"Boo!" The two boys yelled, and the girl screamed, almost dropping the glass.

"What is wrong with you both?!" She exclaimed, trying to get a breath back.

"Oh nothing, we just have some information to relay..." Claggor teased, and Mylo nodded, smirking.

"What is it?"

"Vi told us she's into girls,"

_____

A/N: the actual show picks up in the next chapter, which i'll start writing soon so it should be out tomorrow 😁😁😁 ok thank u ly