nineteen

(Y/n) POV

I woke up in a familiar, yet unfamiliar, area.

"You're here again." I heard a voice, but couldn't see anything. "Sorry. Hold on." It said, then proceeded to step into view.

"Where am I?" I spoke, my voice hoarse as fuck.

"Goatman's bridge, and I'm Goatman. Do you.. remember anything? From the look of it, you're very much alive." He says.

I take in a breath, then releases the breath. "This was the last place I remember, with being alive. I was definitely unalive at one point. I think I had a friend and lived in California?" I mumble, pretty loud. It was night time, but certainly felt like a new day. "I don't remember much right now."

"Quite understandable, since you're very much human again." He nods and we watch the moon. "Speaking of your friend." He nods his head into a direction.

A man, taller than myself, approaches me, wearing a turtle neck and jacket over it. "Hi."

"Hello." I say, leaning my elbows against the bridge railings.

There was a moment of silence before he spoke up again. "Ah, I was just seeing if a friend of mine was here, but I guess not."

"What's her name?" I ask, intrigued a bit. I don't know why Goatman said "friend". I don't really remember much from when I was dead, but I'm sure the memories would come back.

"(Y/n). She's really cool, and nice." He stands next to me, doing quite the same of what I'm doing.

That's my name. But I don't tell him, to further get information on his "friend". He sounded like he wanted to continue.

"She's, despite being a ghost, one of my closest friends." He said, sighing and turning back the way he came. "Welp, guess she's not here. Name's Shane."

"Shane?" I mumble, the familiar name rolling off my lips. "Shane."

He hums, tilting his head to the side a bit. He stays a second longer and that's enough time for me to speak up.

"Shane like... Ghost skeptic Shane? Shane like.. buzzfeed Shane?" I could get away with saying I'm a fan, but even then, I won't have anywhere to go or anyplace to stay.

"Yeah, that's me." He walked back, reaching a hand out.

"I was afraid I wouldn't remember, and I didn't when I woke up." I pushed his hand away and instead embraced him. This was real, I was human again. I held him tighter than I have ever held someone. "I was so scared when I woke up." My fingers dug into his jacket and I didn't want to let go.

"The visuals of losing you was so scary. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know where you'd be. I guessed that this was a good place to start." He held me just as tight as I held him. Neither of us wanting to let go, even tho there would have to be an eventual let go.

I pulled away first, looking at him and taking in being human again, but with Shane actually seeing me, and not just a transparent me. "I'm tired." I laugh, he does so too.

He leads me to his rental car and helps me inside, getting in but not starting yet. "It's so weird seeing you.. in such a physical form. Like, it's nice, but I'm not used to it." He grips the steering wheel and looks over at me before buckling in and starting the car.

xxx

Somehow, I flew back to California with no updated ID's. Not sure how I managed, but I am just extra lucky now. That and I guess spirits are on my side, since I was once them and am not anymore so they could be helping me in some way. I can still hear them and see them, like I'm a medium of sorts.

Shane wanted to crash at home, his home, but decided my one outfit would not last very much longer so he took me to the store to get some more clothes. I felt bad I couldn't pay, as for the fact that I had no job, but Shane reassured me that being human was more important to him than having to pay for some clothes that I could change into.

Still, when we got home, he pulled out a box of extra buzzfeed merch that he'd warn but got too small for him so he ended up giving it to me. He mumbled something under his breath about how I would look cute in it, but when I mentioned something like "what what that?" he pretended not to know what he said.