A beginner's guide to 'The Hunger Games'

Hunger Games The Hunger Games were a morbid and brutal competition which took place annually in the country of Panem, founded by Casca Highbottom and Crassus Snow as a school project. The project was eventually turned into the principal form of punishment enacted upon the 12 districts by the Capitol after their defeat in the First Rebellion. It was to serve as a reminder to the defeated districts of the cost of insurrection and to never again make an attempt at it. 

Since the conclusion of the First Rebellion, every year, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 are selected from each of the twelve district as tributes by a lottery. They would be taken to the Capitol, where they would train for a week, and then these 24 children would be sent into an outdoor arena to fight to the death in a battle royale. Hidden cameras are used to nationally televise the events in mandatory viewings for all citizens in order to both entertain the Capitol inhabitants but also remind the twelve districts how they were completely at the Capitol's mercy. 

The last living tribute would be declared the victor, showered in gifts, and lived the rest of their life in luxury and privilege in the Victor's Village . The winning district also receives parcels of food from the Capitol for a year as reward to the district for producing a victor.

Panem The name given to a reformed North America, Panem is run from a city called the Capitol by a totalitarian government. A failed attempt by the population against their tyrannical leaders led to the start of the Hunger Games as punishment against the people. The tournament sees children selected at random to participate in a televised fight to the death.

Districts Panem is split off into 12 different Districts, each specialising in supplying the country with resources (e.g. mining, textiles, transportation and power). Two children from each district, a boy and a girl, are chosen by lottery to compete in the Hunger Games. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, both from District 12, are selected as 'tributes' to battle in the first Hunger Games novel and movie.

 Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, both from District 12, are selected as 'tributes' to battle in the first Hunger Games novel and movie

Gamemakers The Gamemakers design and control the Hunger Games. They design the arena and the , as well as the animals in the arena and the scenery of the arena. They also keep track of the number of deaths that happen in the arena, as well as signallng cannon fire for the deceased. From the tiniest detail to the biggest , the Gamemakers are in charge of entertaining to the fullest. A dry uninteresting Hunger Games means that the Head Gamemaker's life will be in peril. A bloody and gory Games that keeps the crowd on the edge of their seats brings the Gamemakers' fame and fortune. 

Peacekeepers Peacekeepers comprise a gendarmerie which was controlled by the Capitol, and tasked with maintaining order throughout the nation of Panem. Led by a Head Peacekeeper who is the commander of the district's respective garrison, they are the primary instrument of control and repression in Panem. Their duties consist of arresting political dissidents, rebels, and other lawbreakers. Peacekeepers form the bulk of both law enforcement and the military of the Capitol as they serve as foot soldiers, guards and pilots. Peacekeepers are usually recruited from both the Capitol itself and from the loyal district 2.

Hunger Games rules  The 24 tributes are randomly chosen, or can volunteer.You only get a week's worth of training before entering the arena.You cannot fight each other in the training area.Each tribute gets a mentor who is a previous victor.You can keep a non-weapon token in the Arena. The tributes have to wait one minute before the Games start.Cannibalism is forbidden.There can only be one victor out of the 24. Their children are not exempt from later Games.If a tribute is popular enough, its mentor can get them sponsors in the Arena. The more the game last, the more expensive gifts become. Everytime a tribute dies, a cannon goes off and their body is lifted out of the Arena.

For any more questions: ttps://thehungergames.fandom.com/wiki/Hunger_Games_(event)