Chapter 3: The Capitol

Cato hadn't cried, but he definitely hadn't had a nice sleep either. So his eyes weren't red but he definitely could have looked less pale and more awake than he did now as he was stepping off the train to wave at the ecstatic Capitol crowd cheering on the arrival of their favourite tribute.

The media strategy that they had decided to go with didn't involve waving back nicely at their fans. It was rather different actually: ignoring them as blatantly as possible. Looking strong and proud, head held high as they decidedly stepped into the tribute accommodation building. That was what their mentor thought would impress sponsors the most: the deadly tributes of District Two.

And so, Cato straightened his poise and arbored a grin of disdain as him and Brutus heeled Clove and Enobaria walking ahead. It was clear that both of the victors were beyond delighted to have Cato and Clove as their proteges this year: more chances to win in the arena means more chances for good money on their part. And District Two was clear favorite in this year's tribute panel.

Before the train arrived in the Capitol, the four of them had taken the time to watch all of the Twelve Districts Harvest ceremonies. A way to jauge the competition. Cato had picked out two of their fellow career tributes from District One - a blond girl name Glimmer and a tall guy called Marvel. But besides them and a tough looking farmer from District Eleven called Thresh, there wasn't much to be afraid of this year. Although... The girl from District Twelve that volunteered for her sister and her dumb looking partner did strike a cord of worry in Cato.

Meh. They looked like lost little sheep and didn't have any training. Piece of cake. Cato tried to convinced himself as he stepped inside the building.

*

A way to not obviously flaunt their favouritism for District One, Two and Four, President Snow and the Gamemakers had organised the tributes apartment building attributing the 1st floor to the first District and the last one with the best rooftop view over the Capitol to 12. To be fair, they had been privileged their whole, they could surely survive a week before the Games without literally being on top of everyone for once.

But all Cato could think of was how easy it would be to ride that elevator and slash all of his opponents throat before they even stepped into the arena. That would surely get the Games cancelled wouldn't it? No one has tried to do that before, and a little chill down his spine almost convinces him to set the trend.

Their escort presses them toward the dinner table where a feast is awaiting both tributes and their mentors. The presence of mutes doesn't really bother Cato as he had seen a few while growing up back in his District. But having so many of them wait around the table in dead silence was quite enervating.

Without a look at each other Cato, Clove and their mentors sit down in a screech of chairs echoing in the halls.

*

"So as soon as you step off the platform in the arena, I want you two to run for the cornucopia and take out as many of them as you can.", said Enobaria while slicing a piece of red meat on her plate.

Brutus didn't seem much of a clued on type of person, so most of the thinking was her business.

"Us?", Cato muttered.

The meal hadn't been really pleasant for him. Clove had purposely avoided his stare the whole night, making the experience quite uncomfortable. And so he to pretend he didn't care, and was above the whole lovers quarrel situation they had put themselves into.