The Poison Chalice 4: The Cockatrice

Arthur's POV:

          The sun begins to rise as I rub my eyes, wishing for sleep. I had traveled throughout the long night, only stopping for a moment every now and again to let my horse rest. I traveled through valleys and across mountains within the span of a few hours. By the time the sun had risen above the skyline, I had made it to the dark forest, where it is said that I may find a cure.

                                                                       ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Gaius's POV:

          I watched sadly as the withered in pain, lying there on the cot. Her forehead, drenched in sweat, yet her body shivers as though it is cold. My mind wanders to Arthur, who had so willingly taken off in search of a cure. I couldn't imagine how that pore boy would feel if he arrived too late. Finding the girl he cares for no longer with us. I am pulled out of my thoughts when Gwen walks through the door.

"No one has seen her since the banquet," Gwen spoke, sounding somewhat out of breath. She referred to the girl that Merlin ran into days ago, the one who told him the cup was poisoned. "Who is she?"

"Not who she claims to be," I said under my breath.

"But you know, don't you," Gwen asked. I nod softly.

"Kara. Though that's not her name. Not her real name anyway," I begin to explain.

"Then who is she," Gwen asks curiously.

"A powerful sorceress," I stated.

"Well, we should tell Uther," Gwen suggests. "Maybe he could send riders out after her."

"No, she'll be long gone," I spoke sadly, shaking my head. "It's impossible to know where, though."

That's when I realized something.

"Oh, no," I said in realization.

"What," Gwen asks, sounding a bit concerned.

"She knows the only place an antidote can be found is in the forest of Baloch," I stated, rising from the chair I was sitting in beside Elizabeth's bed. "Arthur could be walking into a trap."

"Arthur," came a soft voice. Gwen and I turned to face Elizabeth, her lips forming his name. "Arthur."

                                                                   ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Arthur's POV:

          I made my way through the dark wood, clutching my horse's reins in one hand and the hilt of my sword in the other. It was quiet, nothing but the sound of my feet and the horse's hooves stepping through the leaf-covered floor, causing a satisfying crunch to fill the air with every step. The sound is suddenly drowned out by the soft cries of what sounded like a woman. I followed the noise to a clearing, where I found a young lady resting on a fallen tree. She was clutching at her arm, blood seeping through her fingers. I tied my horse up to a tree before approaching.

"Hello," I greeted softly, grabbing the young girl's attention. She continued to cry, turning away from me. I cautiously approached her, being sure not to frighten her anymore than she already was. "Are you all right?"

          Before she had the chance to answer a loud roar filled the air, causing the girl's eyes to widen in fear. She shrieked in fear, her eyes landing on something behind me. I slowly turn to see what she was looking at, a chill running down my spine at the sight. The cockatrice, it features looking the exact same as they did in Gaius's book. I rose from my crouched position next to the girl, pulling my sword out of my hilt, the blade gleaming in the rays of sunlight coming through the trees.

"Stay back," I ordered the girl as the cockatrice approached, its fangs poked out as it hissed. It charged towards me, trying its hardest to bite me, yet I dodged its attack. The beast pounced again, but I rolled out of its way, its sharp claws barely missing me. Before it got the chance to lunge again I threw my sword, the blade cutting swiftly through the air, landing in the center of the beast's chest.  The beast moaned in pain, before falling over, defeated.

          I sighed in relief, happy that I had made it out of the fight alive, knowing that I was one step closer to the cure. I heard shuffling, having completely forgotten about the maiden whose life I had just saved. My eyes connected with her blue ones, a look of fear over her face. She backed away from me in fear.

"It's all right. I'm not going to hurt you," I assured her. I searched her frail body for any signs of distress, my eyes landing on a jagged scratch mark on her arm. "Who did that to you?"

"My master," She spoke softly, whipping away a fallen tear. I was shocked by her answer, for who would harm such an innocent and scared girl. "I ran away from him, but then I got lost. Please don't leave me."

"I won't. I'm not going to," I reassured her gently.

"Can you take me away from here," She begged.

"Not yet," I stated softly. "There's something I have to do first."

          My eyes scanned the area, landing on a cave hidden by boulders and moss. I remembered Gaius's directions saying that I shall find the cure in the cave.

"Why have you come to the caves," Asked the girl curiously.

"I'm looking for something. It can only be found here," I minimally explained.

"What is it," She asked, I didn't answer, for I didn't know her well enough to trust her. "I know this place. I could help you."

"It's a type of flower that only grows inside the cave," I explained. "It's very rare."

"The Mortaeus flower. I know where they are," She stated confidently. "I'll show you."

          She walked off towards the cave with confidence,  looking back and gesturing for me to follow her. I followed cautiously, not sure if I should, but then my mind thought of Ellie. She took a risk when she saved my life, now it is my turn to save hers. So I followed after the woman, Ellie being the only thing on my mind.