The Poison Chalice 5: The Mortaeus Flower

Arthur's POV:  

              The once frightened, now confident girl and I entered the cave cautiously. The darkness being overcome with light from the torches we lit before we entered. Neither one of us spoke, only the sound of wind making its way through the cave could be heard. I continued to follow the girl, who walked ahead with confidence, leading the way to the Mortaeus flower. I stopped momentarily, feeling as though someone was calling my name, yet there was no one there, so I pressed on.

                                                                     ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Gaius's  POV:

            I sat at Elizabeth's side, her body radiating heat as her temperature rises. She tosses and turns in discomfort, but not once does she open her eyes.

"Arthur," She calls silently, "Arthur, it's a t-trap."

"Her fevers getting worse isn't it," Merlin asked, sitting on the opposite side of the cot, which Elizabeth lay upon.

"The poison's setting in," I stated sadly. Me and Merlin's attention was suddenly caught when Elizabeth began speaking in tongue as if she was reciting a spell. "I thought Elizabeth didn't have magic?.."

"She doesn't, I don't think. Maybe it has to do with her past or the bond she and Author share," Merlin suggested, I just nod, taking a damp cloth and placing it upon her sweaty brow.

"Could you fetch me some more wolfbane," I asked Merlin.

"Yes, of course," Merlin stated, rising from his place beside the coat. I look back down at the suffering girl lying before me, her body shaking with every shaky breath.

"Elizabeth. You must fight this," I whispered. All of the sudden, Elizabeth's eyes shoot open, yet instead of the hazel ones that she normally has, they are purple.

                                                                 ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Arthur's POV:

             I continued following the girl through the caves, losing track of the many twists and turns, focused on only Ellie and the Mortaeus flower. The girl stops, turning back at me. 

"There they are," she said, pointing behind her. Behind her was a large ravine, a large drop separating us from the opposite side of the wall, where several flowers had bloomed. A small stone pathway connected the two walls. I walked towards the far fall, being careful not to fall into the chasm as the thin stone bridge began to crumble beneath my feet.

"Keep away from the edge," I instructed the girl who now stood behind me. "Don't worry, we'll be out of here soon."

I continued down the thin walkway, edging closer and closer to the far wall.

"Eoroe, lyft, fyr, waerte, hiersumap me," The girl began to chant from behind me. I turned to look at her in confusion, realizing that the ground beneath my feet began to shake.

"What are you doing," I ask back to her, yet she doesn't reply, she continues incanting her spell. Without a second thought, I jumped across to the far wall, grabbing hold of a ledge.

"I expected so much more," said the girl from behind me.

"Who are you," I asked, fighting to keep a hold of the ledge.

"The last face you'll ever see," She said back. Before I could say something back I am interrupted by a rattling sound coming from the darkness.

"It seems we have a visitor," the apparent sorceress spoke, a mischievous grin spreading across her face. I could feel my grip failing me, but I knew I needed to fight to keep my grip, for Ellie's sake. I look to my right, seeing the source of the rattling sound. A large spider with red eyes emerges from the darkness, flashing its fangs. I manage to maneuver myself away from it, unsheathing my sword and knocking it off the ledge into the darkness below.

"Very good, but he won't be the last," said the girl from behind me. "I'll let his friends finish you off, Arthur Pendragon. It's not your destiny to die at my hand."

"Who are you," I yell as she exits the caves, leaving me alone, hanging by my fingers in the darkness.

                                                         ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Gaius's POV:

"Arthur," Elizabeth mumbled in her restless slumber. "It's too dark. Too dark."

          I listened closely as Elizabeth began incanting some sort of spell. Her brother, Merlin, sat across from me, looking at his sister in confusion. He, having known her since they were toddlers and her not having shown any signs of sorcery, to now listening as she recited a spell. It all must be very overwhelming for him. My attention was suddenly pulled back to Elizabeth, as I noticed something glowing from beneath the blanket that covered her.

"Elizabeth," I whispered, pulling back the blanket, revealing a glowing orb beginning to form in her hand. I look up at Merlin, to see a look of shock cross his face, he was just as surprised as I was. "What are you doing?"

                                                             ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

Arthur's POV:

            My will to fight was slowly fading as it grew harder and harder to keep my grip on the jagged ledge. My attention was suddenly caught by a ball of light that began to float next to me. I stared at the orb in confusion.

"Come on then. What are you waiting for," I yelled at the orb. "Finish me off."

             Yet the orb did nothing of the sort. With all the strength I could muster, I pulled myself up and over the ledge. I watched as the orb began rising up, higher and higher, the light briefly shining on the Mortaeus flower, my mind recalling the task I had traveled all this way for. There was a voice in the back of my head, telling me that I should just leave it, to go on and save myself, but I couldn't do that. Elizabeth's life was fading as we speak, every second that I wasted questioning it, another second of Ellie's life is lost.

              My attention was suddenly pulled to the darkness that rested beneath me as a loud shriek filled the ravine. I searched the darkness below me, seeing several red eyes staring back at me. The sound of tapping filled the air as the eyes climbed higher and higher. When they got close enough, I was able to make out a number of spiders, all of them like the one from before. I look back up at the Morteuas flower and without a second thought, begin to scale up the wall of the ravine, climbing closer and closer to my goal. The orb of light lit the way, guiding me up. I reached for the plant, stretching as far as my limbs would allow me to. I took hold of the flower, gently picking it and placing it in the little bag I carried at my waist. I then continued to climb up the wall, till I reached the top, escaping out of a little hole and reaching the surface once again. The fresh, cold breeze hitting my face. I then ran off to where I last left my horse, hopping onto its back and heading back to Camelot.

                                                                  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^