Lancelot: To Become a Knight

Elizabeth's POV:

            There were rumors of a beast with wings and a craving for human flesh has been prowling through the land, striking fear into the citizens. As the attacks grew closer and closer to Camelot, the king grew worried and order Arthur to prepare the knights of Camelot for any threat that comes our way. I sat in the training grounds after finishing my combat training for the day, watching as Arthur went against many brave knights from across the lands, giving them tests to see if their skills were good to become a knight of Camelot.

"Right, you jumped- up dung beetle, this is it," Arthur spoke, directing his attention to a large man standing opposite of him. "Your final test. Pass this and you're a knight of Camelot. Fail, you're no one."

          The last test, was one of the hardest by far, one that many had failed many times before. The knight had to defeat Arthur in a duel, but knowing Arthur, he wouldn't make it easy for them. I watched as Arthur prepare, putting on his gloves that made it easier to grip his sword.

"You face the most feared of all foes... The ultimate killing machine," he looked back at his opponent. "Now, you face me. Your challenge is to last one minute in free combat."

            I held my breath as the anticipation built, waiting anxiously for someone to send the first blow. Arthur always had a way of keeping his opponent and his audience on their toes, dragging out the wait, letting it build up to the best part. The part where he claimed his victory, for Arthur never lost.

"Grimond, son of Wessex," Arthur spoke. I watched intently as Arthur removed his sword from his scabbard, his opponent doing the same, but with two swords. Arthur then turned back to look at one of the servants on standby. With a nod of Arthur's head, the servant flipped the hourglass he held in his hand over, beginning the minute. "Your time starts now."

           With that Grimond approached Arthur, his two swords slicing through the air wildly. He was sporadically swinging his sword, having no control of his movements. Arthur just stood there, unimpressed with his opponent's approach. When the sword got close to the prince's head, he dodged the blade, dunking out of the way just in time. His opponent charged again, his swords still flailing around, yet he failed to land a hit on Arthur.  What happened next happened in the blink of an eye. Arthur knees Grimond in the gut, causing him to hunch over in pain. Arthur took the opportunity to take hold of the back of Grimond's neck, pulling him up and then forcing him back down. Grimond's head makes direct contact with Arthur's knee, knocking him out instantly. The crowd that had formed cheered for the victorious prince, yet Arthur's face didn't change. He wore the same unimpressed expression he wore when the duel began.

^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^

"Grimond's the third to fail this month," Arthur spoke as we walked through the busy streets of Camelot, Merlin following closely behind us carrying Arthur's armor. "How am I meant to defend Camelot with rubbish like that?"

"I think I may be able to help," Merlin spoke up, wearing a beaming smile on his face.

"You Merlin," Arthur questioned, "You haven't the faintest idea what it takes to be a knight-- Courage, fortitude, discipline. Elizabeth has a better chance at making it than you do."

"No, no, of course, I don't," Merlin spoke, pushing past Arthur's statement. "But I know someone who does."

"Yeah," Arthur questioned, looking back to face my brother, seeming interested.