A Remedy to Cure All Ills 7: Relieved of Duty

Arthur's POV:

            I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside and rays of sunlight streaming through the slightly open curtains. I smiled at the predicament I found myself in. Elizabeth was snuggled against me, my arms wrapped around her small frame. After last night's occurrences, Elizabeth was worried that history would repeat itself. She, therefore, asked me to spend the night with her. I said yes, of course, wanting her to feel safe. I wish for her worries to cease, to fade to nothing. Yet, no matter how hard I tried to cease her troubles, more seemed to make themselves known.

           My father's decision was one of those problems. The decision on whether or not he was going to relieve Gaius of his duties as the palace physician. I know my father, I know that he has already come to his decision. I also know that that decision will stress Elizabeth even further.

            I lay with Elizabeth for a moment longer, admiring her beauty. Her cheeks were flushed with a hint of rosacea. Her full lips were slightly parted, her breath fanning my neck each time she exhaled. I ever so carefully unwrapped my arms from around her, hoping not to wake her from her peaceful slumber. A slumber that was well deserved after last night's abrupt occurrence. I slowly pulled the covers back over her, gently kissing her forehead before departing.

^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^  *  ^ 

            I stood alongside my father, who sat on his glorious throne. Gaius enters the throne room, his head held high. He stopped in the middle of the throne room, bowing before my father. 

"Sire, is there a problem? Are you unwell," Gaius asked. The poor man, he truly had no idea of what was about to happen.

"This is not an ailment you can treat me for," My father replied softly. "You have been a loyal servant for many years. I look on you as a friend."

"I regard you in the same way, sire," Gaius replies kindly, bowing his head to show respect.

"You've been here since Arthur's birth and all that entailed," My father spoke, rising from his seat. "What I am trying to do, I think is best for you."

"I am confused, sire," Gaius replied with a frown. My father looked down at the floor, pausing briefly. I knew that he was only doing what he thought was best for the kingdom, but at the same time, he would be losing his closest friend.

"I'll give you a generous allowance," Father said with a sigh. "Make sure you're looked after."

"You're retiring me," Gaius asked, sounding puzzled.

"I don't want you to worry," my father replied. "I will allow you to continue living in your chambers until more suitable accommodations can be found." 

"Because I made one mistake," Gaius asked, his voice filled with concern. "Although, in truth, sire, it was not a mistake. It was...."

"Yes, Gaius," came a voice. Edwin emerged from behind a pillar. Gaius stayed silent, his eyes fixed on Edwin. Everything that he was about to say was out the window, all because Edwin appeared. The way Gaius looked at the young physician, as though he had something to say, yet was fearful to do so.

"It was unfortunate. I accept that," my father spoke.

"May I ask who is to be the next court physician," Gaius questioned, looking back at my father.

"None of this was Edwin's idea. Initially, he turned down the offer," Father replied.

"I'm sure," Gaius spoke, his focus making its way back to Edwin, who only smiled.