79 - Choice

Reporting and filing of the case ended quickly. Ting Shuang had already written a statement, and the relevant documents had all been prepared. They were in the document file that he had turned in together with the evidence. As for the legal follow-up procedures, they would be handed over to lawyers.

When Ting Shuang exited the Public Security Bureau, the gray sky had cracked open, sunlight shining through the crack and onto his shoulder.

“Ah, it’s clearing up.” He stretched, and from his pocket, fetched the cigarette that he had just asked a policeman for.

When he’d asked, the policeman had laughed and said that only those being arrested would ask for a cigarette when they couldn’t withstand the pressure. He was the one who reported the case, so why would he ask for a cigarette?

Putting people in prison was also quite stressful. After saying that, he sniffed the cigarette and continued giving his testimony. Until the end, he didn’t light the cigarette.

Now, he stood at the door of the Public Security Bureau, asked a passerby to borrow a lighter, then lit the cigarette. He slowly finished smoking it, then sent a message to Zhu Wenjia: I didn’t do what I promised you, hire a good lawyer for your mum.

When the message was sent, he turned off his phone, stubbed out the cigarette, hailed a car, made a trip to the jewelry store first, then went to the hospital to visit his dad.

He thought that he would be the only one visiting that afternoon, but unexpectedly, Zhu Wenjia had arrived just a few minutes before three.

The two of them stayed ten steps away from each other, not speaking. Occasionally, a doctor or nurse would pass by, and they’d disappear from each other’s sight, then reappear abruptly.

Ting Shuang was first to turn away his gaze, looking to the side.

Zhu Wenjia stood where he was for a few seconds before walking over, “I called and asked my mother about what happened.”

Ting Shuang said, “Mm.”

Zhu Wenjia paused, “She might be sentenced.”

Ting Shuang said, “I know.”

“You knew?” Zhu Wenjia’s punch landed on Ting Shuang’s face.

You fucking knew, yet you still reported the crime?

The next second, Ting Shuang returned a punch to Zhu Wenjia’s face, “Don’t you know?”

Don’t you fucking know that it’s something she should be sentenced for?

“What are you doing? This is the hospital.” The nurse walked over quickly. “Are you here to visit or fight?”

“He deserves a beating.” Ting Shuang said.

“You’re the one who fucking deserves a beating.” Zhu Wenjia said, covering his face.

“Fight outside,” The nurse said.

“It’s fine, we’re done fighting.” Ting Shuang looked at Zhu Wenjia with a cold expression, “Right?”

Zhu Wenjia reluctantly said, “… Mm.”

After each getting punched once, it seemed like for both of them, a bit of weight had been lifted from their souls.

The nurse checked the time and said, “You can go in for visitation now.”

Ting Shuang and Zhu Wenjia did not move.

“About what happened the past two days, let’s discuss whether or not to talk about it, and how much we should say before going in.” Ting Shuang was afraid that overly specific details would aggravate Zhu Ao.