𝟐 ┃ 𝑆𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑑 𝐵𝑎𝑠𝑒

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

『Second base』

εϊз

Clouds swarmed the sky, not allowing enough sunlight to scorch whoever happened to be standing outside but just enough for it to be comfortable for one to take a slow walk through the park. Shinobu and [Y/n] walked side-by-side towards the bus stop, enjoying the lazy atmosphere of the calm afternoon while discussing about their group project.

A distant hum of a car came from the far end of the road next to the path the two were walking on. Birds sleepily sang along to the soft rustling of trees and whispering of the wind.

Just then, [Y/n] suddenly stopped talking. Shinobu felt a hand gently squeeze her own, leading her towards the inner part of the path they were walking on. [Y/n] took Shinobu's spot on the outer part of the path and continued their conversation.

The hum of the car from before grew louder and soon said car passed by them. Eventually, they had reached the bus stop. Shadows hung over their faces when they sat underneath the shades.

A slight nervousness lingered in Shinobu. They had gone to the stationary shop a few times. Not enough times for them to be regulars but just enough to be familiar with. And Shinobu knew very well that they had to walk through the park to get to the stationery store. Except there was one small issue.

Then the screech of tires halting against the asphalt road and the dusty fumes of smoke disrupted Shinobu's train of thought.

The bus had arrived.

✧ ◦ ────── ⋆⋅ εϊз ⋅⋆ ────── ◦ ✧

The two girls strolled through the park, enjoying the green scenery and mellow smell of the sun.

Remember that one small issue from before? Here it was.

A curious snout sniffed at the ground next to where Shinobu walked, the blue collar on its neck jingling as it continued to follow Shinobu's feet.

Shinobu's grip on [Y/n]'s arm tightened, causing the fabric underneath to scrunch up into waves like the ocean. A rising sense of panic welled up in her chest. She hadn't even realized the odd and stiff expression that her face had contorted into.

"What's wrong?"

"T-there's a dog."

"Oh, it seems to have taken a liking to you." [Y/n] moved to the side that the dog was at, effectively becoming a barricade between Shinobu and the dog, just as she had done many times before. "Excuse me, you're making my friend uncomfortable here. I'd appreciate it if you didn't do that."

Shinobu couldn't help but giggle at [Y/n]'s silly antics. She also felt touched by the fact that [Y/n] was trying to calm her and distract her from the various other dogs in the park.