𝟑 ┃ 𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑟𝑑 𝐵𝑎𝑠𝑒

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

『Third Base』

εϊз

Hushed whispers and rustling of paper echoed throughout the library. The thin page flitted aimlessly back and forth between Shinobu's fingers. Her eyes may be looking at the jejune text but her mind wandered elsewhere. In particular to the shelf near the table she sat at, which was where [Y/n] stood, browsing through the selection of books.

A small blush crept onto Shinobu's cheeks as she continued to look at [Y/n]. Gentle rays of sunlight flaked through the glass windows and grazed [Y/n]'s face, illuminating all of the right spots and making her seem even more stunning to Shinobu.

Badump. Badump. Badump.

Just the sight of her made Shinobu's heart flutter. The very same sight of [Y/n] made her heart ache. A bitter taste of guilt lingered in Shinobu. What was she thinking? Having such thoughts of someone who already liked someone else and was about to confess to that special someone. A special someone that isn't her and will never be her.

Shinobu's eyes trailed back to the book in her hand and a breathless sigh escaped her lips. Still, those sour feelings nagged at her. [Y/n] slid into the chair beside Shinobu, making it creak in response. [Eye colour] eyes focused on the novel in her hands while purple eyes surreptitiously looked at her with conflicted emotions. Another flip of a page, lines upon of lines of words laid on the paper, telling a tender story. [Y/n] may look focused on the story, but Shinobu knew otherwise. Behind those bright [eye colour] eyes were murkiness and doubt. It seemed that both of their minds wandered to somewhere far away.

All of a sudden [Y/n] looked up from her book and glanced at Shinobu, which made Shinobu's gaze dart back to her book, pretending to be interested in whatever the printed words spelt out, not even realizing that she had been staring at the same page for the past few minutes.

"We've been here for a while, shall we go back?"

A clumsy nod sufficed as an answer.

"Let's go."

✧ ◦ ────── ⋆⋅ εϊз ⋅⋆ ────── ◦ ✧

The once clear skies began to swirl with dark heavy clouds. Raindrops fell and waltzed across the pavement, leaving behind wet footprints that would soon become puddles. One by one, vibrant umbrellas adorned the grey pavements, everyone seemingly going about their day without much hindrance. However, the frantic footsteps of two girls sent ripples through the puddles of rainwater. Unluckily for them, neither had an umbrella.

Shinobu's hand was interlocked with [Y/n]'s, yet both of them didn't notice as they were too busy searching for a way out of the rain. A park came into view, the gazebo stood out like a sore thumb. Despite tracking some puddles into the gazebo, both of them remained somewhat dry, only a few droplets of rain hung from their hair. The rain continued to fall down and hammered against the roof of the gazebo at a steady—almost rhythmic—pace.