Part 7

Jennie's POV

Finding a job wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I was practically laughed out of a dozen interviews. Stripping was looking more and more like my destined vocation. My mother had kept her word and twenty-four hours after the argument, my credit cards were frozen. She couldn't, however, cut off the flow from my trust fund because it had been established by my grandparents. Mom wasn't the executor of their estate and after a long conversation with my grandmother; I had her blessing to go on with my life the way I saw fit.

It was a slap in the face to my mom, but it turned out that Gran never much cared for my mother. I wasn't destitute, but I couldn't just live off of my trust fund either. I've done enough of that. I had to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. There had to be more to it than lying around, going to lunch and shopping all the time. I didn't want to be a society, trophy wife.

So I sent résumés to any company with an appealing open position. I interviewed to be a receptionist at a dentist's office, an admittance clerk at a doctor's office at the nearest hospital, a dispatcher for the police department, an admin for three different marinas... Know what they all had in common? Typing. Thise were preschoolers who were better at typing than I was.

But I didn't give up.

The two weeks my mother predicted I would last came and went. There had to be something out there I was good at. I wasn't ready to give up yet.

I had an interview for a sales clerk at a little boutique, a little ways down from Jisoo's house. She pretty much lived on a boardwalk. There were plenty of restaurants within walking distance and almost all of them were hiring all the time, but nothing about waiting tables appealed to me. I wasn't expecting to love everything about the work I did but I wanted to at least like it.

So I got dressed in a crisp button down top that I tucked into a sleek, black pencil skirt. I put on a pair of five inch Louboutin Mary Jane pumps and pulled my hair back in a knot at the nape of my neck. I didn't bother with makeup beyond a little mascara and some rose tinted lip gloss. Wendy's Togs was a quarter mile down the beach, but I drove over there anyway. The boutique sold high end beach apparel, sunglasses and other accessories.

I'd learned of the job when I had gone in to buy a bikini with pretty Swarovski crystals on it. It kind of reminded me of that sheer, sparkly bodysuit thing that Britney Spears wore on the VMAs one year, only it was cut down to just a bikini. If thise was one thing I knew a little about, it was bikinis. I owned dozens of them.

More than once I had been told I should have submitted my pictures to Sports Illustrated for their swimsuit issues, but I wasn't convinced I really had that good of a body.

I put on my pearls and Prada reading glasses, and picked up my purse before I left. Lisa was at the garage and Jisoo was on a business trip to Indio for a few days. I loved Jisoo to pieces but I forgot how loud she could be. Lisa never complained about me being there but I was sure she was anxious for me to move out. I was looking at condos, but I hadn't found one yet that I liked.

The travel time to the boutique was two minutes.

I parked outside the small shop and walked into the building with my head held high and a confident smile on my face. Wendy, the owner, was standing behind the sales counter. Her dark hair was hanging in loose waves down her back. She was dressed in a salmon pink romper with big, chunky jewelry.

"Hello," I said with a friendly smile.

"Hello, how may I help you?" she smiled back.

"I'm Jennie Kim . I'm here to interview for the sales clerk position," I said.