Chapter 2

It's Halloween and I wake up on the couch. Wow what a family I have. No one even bothered to wake me up. I get ready and I'm helping Jonathan make breakfast when Mum runs in. "Where's Will?" I look at her. "What?" "He's not in his room." I grab Mum's arms. "Calm down, I'll check the bathroom." I knock. "Will are you in there?" I hear a muffled "yes" and I turn back to Mum.

"See, he's fine." She shrugs sheepishly and Will gets ready. He's in a Ghostbusters costume and I smile. He's so cute. Jonathan takes photos of him and Mum and I watch. Finally we take him to school and I get outside the car when we park in the parking lot at school. I hear a loud sound when I look to see a Blue Camaro pull up. I'm pretty sure that's the car Billy drives but the person who comes out of the driver's seat is not Billy.

It's some other guy who's also strong and burly and shit. I see Billy come out of the passengers seat but he's not walking with the confidence that I saw yesterday. Out of the back seat comes a little red head who looks about the same age as Will. She skates away towards the middle school.

I go to my locker when I feel the presence of someone behind me. I gasp and turn around quickly with wide eyes. I'm greeted by the sight of Billy. "Whoa there, sorry didn't mean to scare you Jess." I take a deep breath in and shake my head.

"Oh it's fine. I'm just a really jumpy person." He nods. "Well sorry about that." He's about to say something else when the guy who was driving his car walks up to us. "Hey, cuz. What have we got here?" He reaches up touches the side of my face.

I flinch back uncomfortable. "You're a pretty little thing. What's your name?" I look at him wearily. "Jessica." "Ok, Jessica. What are you doing talking to my cousin when I'm the better option?" I look at Billy and he's just looking at the ground.

I don't know him at all but I know that when I met him yesterday, he radiated a type of confidence that he doesn't seem to have now. "I gotta go. I'm meeting my friends." I grab my books and walk away as fast as I can.

When I get into the library Steve and Nancy's books and bags are there but they're not. I'm not sure where they are but I just sit down near their seats and pull out a book to study.

After school I'm sitting on Jonathan's car waiting for him to hurry up and take me home. Someone sits next to me and I see  Billy's cousin. "I don't think I ever gave you my name." "That's cause I never asked." He chuckles but it sounds more like a threatening chuckle.

"You better watch your mouth little lady." "Or else what?" He looks at me. "Or else one day it'll get you in big trouble with someone that you don't want to be troubling. Anyway I'm Sam." I nod. "That's nice."

I turn to look in his car and Billy is sitting in the passenger seat. I wave and he smirks and waves back at me. I roll my eyes. The little redhead from today rides up and Sam glares at her.He starts lecturing her about how she's late then he looks back at me. "Need a ride?" I look at my watch. Jon is probably gonna be a while and I'd like to go now. I nod. "Sure."

He leads me to the car and he's about to make Billy sit in the back with the young girl but I shake my head. "No it's ok. I'll sit in the back." I sit in the back of the car and Billy exchanges seats with the young girl. I smile at him. "Couldn't resist me?" He rolls his eyes but he doesn't deny anything.

I give Sam my address and I melt back into the seat. I'm a bit tired which is why I wanted to go home. "God this place is such a shithole." I look up at the sound of Sam's voice. Max speaks up. "It's not that bad."

Suddenly the windows are rolled down and I gasp at the sudden coldness in the car. "Smell that Max, it's actual cow shit." I look around. "I don't see any cows." He ignores my statement but Billy let's out a little snort. "Clearly you haven't met some of the high school girls."