Chapter 9

I brush my wet hair in my gown as Billy changes behind me. We just had shower and the water was really nice. Billy is talking about this movie he watched when suddenly all the lights in the house switch off. I look around in panic and Billy walks up and puts his arms around me. "Hey, it's ok. It's just a power outage. Nothing supernatural there."

It seems he's right cause a few minutes later the power switches back on and I change into my pajamas before going downstairs with Billy to watch a movie. Soon after the movie Billy goes home and I go to sleep. The next morning I'm eating breakfast with Mum and Will when Jonathan comes tearing down the stairs with lipstick on his face.

Mum wipes it up while me and Will scrunch up our faces at each other. He's sleeping with my best friend and I think that's gross. "Ugh gross." Will voices out my thoughts and Mum chuckles. "I don't think you're gonna feel that way when you fall in love." Will looks away from Mum. "I'm not gonna fall in love." I ruffle his hair but then something catches Mum's attention. The magnets fell off the fridge which is really weird.

Billy comes to pick me up for work and we go to the pool. We're lifeguard because we both wanna work as lifeguards when we grow older but at the beaches instead of the pool. Our shifts are together which is good but unfortunately Sam is also a lifeguard who shares a shift with us. But true to his promise, he has left us alone. I still don't like him.

We get to the pool and I get myself ready. Right now me and Billy are inside because Heather is on the watch tower, then after Heather is Sam, after Sam is me and after me is Billy. I see Heather get down and I see all the older woman getting ready to see Sam. Mrs Wheeler is one of them. I wonder if they ever get embarrassed?

Work behind the desk is pretty uneventful other than a few lost kids who I gladly help because Billy is horrible with kids and I'm thankfully not. I find how awkward Billy is with children funny. He'll save a kids life and then not know how to react when they give him a hug or a compliment. It's adorable.

Sam comes up and tells me it's my turn on the tower and he's got the biggest smile on his face. Heather comes to sit with Billy cause when we started both me and Billy requested not to put behind the desk with Sam.

Our boss didn't mind much and just asked us to come up with the system ourselves which we did. Heather sits with Billy when I'm on the chair, I sit with Heather when Billy's on the chair, and Billy and I sit in the office when Heather and Sam are on the chair. Sam is horrible behind the desk so he's never there.

Most girls would be jealous when having a girl as beautiful as Heather hanging around their boyfriends. But not me. I think of Heather as a pretty close friend and I trust that Billy would never do anything to hurt me.

Finally after a long shift, I go home and find mum sitting alone watching T.V. I sit next to her. "What are we watching Mum?" She doesn't answer but I recognize the show as the one Mum and Bob used to watch all the time.

I heat some food and watch it with her so she's not alone. She smiles thankfully and puts her head on my shoulder. I know she misses him a lot and I'm sad I never got to say goodbye. I wish I got to say goodbye.