Chapter 12

I wake up to loud ringing coming from Max's room. I groan. What the fuck? Billy buries his head into my neck. I look at the time. "Oh shit. We gotta go." We get ready as quick as we can. We leave the house with me tying up my hair and Billy unlocking the car. We get to work on time and Levi nods at us as we walk in.

Sam is sitting at the lifeguard tower and Billy and I are at the desk. Suddenly Will walks up. "We need your help." I look at him confused. "What are you doing here?" He gestures for me to follow him. I look at Billy and he waves me off. I stand up and follow Will. He leads me to Mike, Lucas, Eleven, and Max. 

I immediately know somethings really wrong. Like supernaturaly wrong. "What's going on?" "We think Sam is flayed." I look at them confused. "What?" "You know how last year Will was like possessed by something called the Mind Flayer? Well we think that same thing is inside Sam right now. And we need your help to prove it." 

They tell me their plan to me and I nod. "You're gonna need Billy to set this up, not me. I'm not allowed in there." They nod and I go get Billy before taking his place behind the desk. Finally the shift is over and we tell Levi he can go and we'll close the pool down after Sam's done with his shower. He look at us thankfully and leaves without noticing the 5 teenagers we have hidden.

We set the plan into motion and I'm kind of scared. I really cannot live a normal life anymore. Mike coaxes Sam into the sauna room and we shut the door on him chaining him in. He looks out the window, then he makes eye contact with Billy and Max. "Max? Billy?" Max looks at Billy and he nods. "Do it," they say in unison. 

Will goes forward and turns the temperature up. Sam bangs on the door. "Max! Billy! Let me out of here! Was this Jessica's idea? I know she doesn't like me." I roll my eyes. Even when possessed, he still has my name in his mouth. "Let me out. You kids... You think this is funny? You kids think this is some kind of sick prank, huh?" He spits on the glass.

"You little shits think this is funny? What is this? Open the door." He bangs on the door and I flinch back. "Open the door! Open the door! Open the goddamn door!" He sinks to the floor and lets out a scream. Will runs up and checks the temperature. "We're at 220." We wait listening and suddenly we hear sobbing.

Max starts moving forward but Billy stays beside me. "It's not my fault. It's not my fault. It's not my fault, guys. I promise you, it's not my fault." Max goes in front of the glass. "What's not your fault, Sam." "I've done things, Max. Really.... bad things. I didn't mean to. He made me do it." We all look at each other. "Who made you do it?" "I don't know, it's like a shadow." I look at Will and he nods his head. 

"Like a giant shadow. Please, Max." "What did he make you do?" "It's not my fault, okay? Max, please. Please, believe me, Max, it's not my fault. I tried to stop him, okay? I did. Please believe me, Max. Please believe me." Max puts her hand on the glass. "Sam, it's gonna be okay." "Max, please." "It's gonna be okay. We want to help you. We want to help you. You just have to talk to us, okay? You have to talk to us." 

She keeps talking to him but my attention turns to Will who's hand is moving slowly towards the back of his neck. He turns to Mike and they have a quiet conversation. Mike turns to Max. "Max, get away from the door." I turn and I see Sam walking towards the door. Without thinking I run and grab Max just before Sam breaks the glass and reaches his hand out toward us. 

"Let me out, you bitch! Let me out! I'll fucking gut you!" He removes the pole that was holding the door closed and now there's just the chain left. I hide Max behind me as if I'm much protection, but I'd rather me than her. Lucas brings his sling shot out and hits Sam in the head with a rock. We take that as our oppurtunity to get back to the others.

Billy grabs me and Max and pulls us behind him. If I wasn't scared to death right now I'd probably give him a little "aww" out loud. The lights start flashing and we look around panicked. A scream is heard from Sam and suddenly banging is heard from the door. The pole that the chain is chained to starts bending and it looks like he's gonna break through. 

Lucas tries to stay positive saying that there's no way he could break through. Lucas is proven wrong when Sam breaks through the door and tumbles out. He starts moving towards us when Eleven uses her powers to lift up a weight and smash it against him. She holds it there choking him but then suddenly he moves it back throwing it at her.

She falls to the ground and before she can recover, he grabs her by her neck lifting her up and he starts choking her. We all watch in panic unsure of what to do. Suddenly Mike appears behind him and  whacks him in the head with a pole. This takes Sam by suprise and he falls down dropping Eleven on the way. Mike goes to hit Sam again but Sam catches the pole and rips it out of Mike's hand. 

He starts moving towards Mike but before he can do anything, Eleven uses her power to lift him up and with all her might throws him through the wall. She collapses exhausted and everyone is terrified. Mike helps her up and we all move cautiously towards the hole in the wall just in time to watch Sam run away.