Chapter 10

I tie my hair as I sit behind the desk. Today's boring as usual and Heather is yelling into her megaphone. I think these guys love yelling at people. I'm constantly told by parents that I'm their kid's favourite lifeguard cause I don't yell and that warms my heart.

Suddenly our boss walks up. "Why is no one manning the tower?" I look at him confused. "Sam is supposed to be out there." "Well he isn't, so get out there Byers." I salute him and go outside and sit in the chair.

The middle aged women look at me in disappointment. I smile sweetly at them and give them a wave. Do they not get embarrassed watching teenage boys so intently. Like don't they have kids to watch or you know, husbands?

Soon Billy comes to watch the tower. I notice the ladies checking him out and I stop before smiling sweetly. "Maybe you should watch your kids, instead of my boyfriend ladies. Just a suggestion." I hear a loud snort from Billy's direction.

They all immediately look down in embarrassment and I chuckle before sitting behind the desk. Gosh I hate being understaffed, it makes life so much harder. By the end of the day Billy and I are wrung out.

Not only did Sam disappear but Heather disappeared with him which is unlike her. Yes, she doesn't enjoy being a lifeguard all the time, but she's never left us out in the cold. Honestly I feel like there's something wrong.