Chapter 7: Everything's Fine

What Dabi said last night was still bugging me... What was he going to say? He's... what? One thing kept coming to mind, but I shook it off, knowing it was impossible for him to still be alive. But... it is suspicious.

"Sensei? L/n-Sensei? Are you alright?" Midoriya asked.

I looked up and realized I had zoned out again. "Oh, I'm fine. Um good job on your final by the way."

Unfortunately, I wasn't going to be able to fight any of the students during the final. I was mainly there to watch and grade their performances. 

After I was done grading them, I sat down at my desk and opened up my computer. I kept trying to research who Dabi could be, but I kept coming up empty. There were no records in the system of a man named Dabi, and nothing about him could be tracked to anyone else. I sighed and put my face in my hands. 'Damn it. I wish I could just report him, but Shoto's at risk.'

I heard the bell ring and got up from my chair, leaving early. I walked to my apartment and opened the door, thinking he was still there, but when I looked inside he was no where to be seen. I furrowed my brows and called out, "Dabi?"

No answer. I sighed and brushed it off. He's a grown man who can do whatever he wants. I got myself cleaned up and decided to go out for some coffee (or tea if you like that better). I went to the mall and noticed my students scattered throughout. 'They must all be shopping for the summer camp together.' I thought to myself as I sat in the cafe. 

I ordered and soon enough, another person sat at my table. I didn't even have to look up to know who it was. "Dabi." 

"Hey Y/n." Dabi said. 

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Nothing. I just wanted to say I'm going to be gone for a few weeks, I just got a job with someone." Dabi explained.

"Ok. I would honestly rather you didn't come back and you left me and my students alone." I remarked.

"Oh Y/n, that ain't happening any time soon." Dabi teased.

I sighed and got up, walking away with Dabi walking behind me. I glanced back at him and asked, "What am I to you, Dabi?"

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"When we first met, you said I reminded you of someone close to you. You also know things about me that I haven't told anyone about... at least not for a long time. So who am I to you?"  I asked.

Dabi was silent for a moment. I turned around and saw that he stopped walking. I approached him slowly and stopped right in front of him. He suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me close to him so that we were inches apart. His turquoise eyes stared intensely at my e/c ones. "You know, you're probably the only person that I even remotely care about, Y/n. I wish I could tell you who I was, I really do, but now's not the right time. I need everyone to hear at once. You knowing could ruin my whole plan."

I gulped as he held me close to him. I felt so small under his fiery gaze. He then did something I didn't expect. He leaned over and kissed my forehead. He pulled away and whispered, "I promise, everything will make sense in time, but for now just know that you are the only person in the world that I care about and I will do anything to make sure that you're happy."

He let go and walked away, leaving me stunned and alone in the middle of the mall, no one even noticing what had just happened. 'Why did his touch feel so familiar? He feels just like... but he's dead... I must be imagining everything, my brain must be wishing he was alive and projecting that desire onto Dabi.' I thought to myself, trying to rationalize it out.

I shook my head and walked downstairs, only to see Midoriya being held by the neck by some stranger. "Midoriya?" I asked.

Midoriya looked at me and panicked, "Don't worry everything's fine!" he shouted, possibly to ensure that the stranger didn't react. 

The stranger looked at me and I immediately recognized him as Shigaraki. He let go of Midoriya and put his hands up before trying to walk away, "Wait. What is All For One planning?" Midoriya asked, coughing.

"Who knows." Shigaraki said before walking away.

I rushed to Midoriya's side and dialed the mall security. "Are you alright, Midoriya?" I asked.

"I'm fine L/n-sensei. Thank you." 

"Let's go. The police are going to want to know what happened." I said.

He nodded and we walked away, the police escorting me and Midoriya to the station. They asked me questions like, "What was Shigaraki doing to Midoriya?" and "When did you find them like that?" 

It was rather boring, but when I was done I walked out of the station to see mini All Might, Midoriya, and Tsukauchi. "Oh, hello L/n." All Might said.

I waved and asked, "What are you doing here?"

"All Might, does L/n-sensei know?"  Midoriya asked.

"I'm sorry what? First of all, how do you know that's All Might? That form's confidential. Second of all, do I know what?" I asked.

All Might's brow twitched in annoyance and he said, "Young Midoriya found out about this form by mistake. Secondly, he was talking about the fact that Midoriya's a family friend. I was just checking up on him after what happened today!" 

'Oh he is so lying.' I thought to myself while saying, "Right... Anyway, Midoriya how are you feeling?"

"Alright I guess, thank you for helping me." Midoriya said cheerfully.

Suddenly, a taxi pulled up and a short woman with green hair ran out and went straight for Midoriya. "Izuku!" she cried.

'Must be his mother.' I thought to himself.

"I don't know how much more of this my heart can take! I'm so worried about you, Izuku!" she cried.

I saw the heartbreak on Midoriya's face. "Mrs. Midoriya?" I asked.

She looked at me and asked, "Yes?" 

"I'm one of your son's teachers and I'm the one who found him earlier today at the mall. I just want to say that your son handled the situation very calmly. He was very brave." I said reassuringly.

She started tearing up and said, "Thank you. I appreciate that you're taking care of my son." 

I smiled and they walked away. "All Might. I don't care what your relation is to Midoriya and why you seem so adamant to keep an eye on him, just keep him safe. He's a good kid." I said.

All Might nodded and I walked away without another word.