Chapter One

2 years.

That's how long it's been. 2 years since my soul had been sold to the devil. 2 years since my parents abandoned me and my pack sold me to the demons they swore to protect me from. 2 years of pain, suffering, and praying for death. Of course, my wishes were never complied with, but that's just my life, I suppose.

The endless motion of the broom by my feet distracts me from my impending doom, sweeping away my tears with dirt and grime. I'm not supposed to be crying, but I can't help myself. The dust is drifting to my eyes, torturing them and making me weep. I'm not usually a crier. I've been taught to keep my emotions to myself and not bother anyone with them because that's the easiest thing to do. It keeps me safe, and away from my Alpha's whip.

There are footsteps approaching the kitchen. They sound like heels, I think. They're loud and obnoxious, and the pool of dread that's been stirring in my stomach rushes to my heart. I clutch the broom tighter to my chest and keep my eyes down. If I meet their eyes, I'll start laughing, I know, and if I start laughing, it won't end well for me.

Two girls enter the room, and just by their shoes, I immediately recognize them. They're Darcy and Amanda, the Luna's daughters. I suppress a groan. I find them so annoying and irritating, but they take just after their father, the Alpha. Spoiled, bratty, and so overly irritating, although the Alpha would kill me if he knew I said that about his two favorite daughters...well, maybe not kill me, since he "needs" me, I guess.

"Did you make brunch yet, Anvi?" Darcy asks, butchering my name so badly that I almost don't realize that she's calling me. I hesitate to look up from the floor, trying to keep my mouth from trembling. Once I've composed myself, I look up into her dark blue eyes, her lips twisted expectantly.

"Well, Anvi?" She snaps.

"Yes, ma'am," I mutter. "Would you like your tea hot or cold?"

"Cold, as usual," Darcy says.

"I'd like mine hot," Amanda commands, sitting on one of the chairs. She steps into the pile of dirt I've created, smearing the mess around the floor I spent nearly an hour cleaning.

"Oops, sorry," she says, but she doesn't really sound sorry.

"That's...okay," I grit out, handing them their food. As I set the mugs of tea beside them, Darcy lets out a loud, unladylike screech, startling the cup from my hand and smashing it onto the ground.

"You gave me the wrong tea, you bitch!" She screams, shoving me back. I stumble back against the counter, falling on my bottom, and both Darcy and Amanda glare at me, their eyes glowing.

"I'm sorry," I mumble, although, just like Amanda, I'm not really sorry. They and their overly bleached hair deserve it, but again, I can't say that either, no matter how much I really would like to shove reality into their faces.

"You should be, you ungrateful girl!" Darcy screams, sticking her tongue out. "Look what you did!" She points to her tongue, which is only slightly reddened. "I can't feel my tongue anymore! What if you burned off my taste cells?"

"Taste cells?" I repeat, frowning. "Ma'am, I-!"

"What's going on here?" Alpha Banastre's commanding voice booms through the kitchen and immediately, my blood runs cold. Darcy and Amanda both smirk victoriously at me.

Alpha Banastre has been my Alpha for 2 years. He bought me from my old pack, and I've never liked him. I have good reason to. He's extremely unkind, not only to me but to his wife and pack. If anything, the only people he loves are his daughters. He doesn't even show any compassion for his son, his heir.

Alpha Banastre is a tall man - maybe seven or eight feet. I haven't met anyone taller than that yet, and doubt I ever will, but his height is only part of what makes him so frightening.