Chapter Five

Leaving the ballroom turns out to be much longer than I expect it to be.

Before any wolf leaves, I learn, they have to pay their respects to the Luna Queen and Alpha King and exchange some sort of pleasantries to be able to be officially dismissed from the meetings. It's overwhelming, I'll admit. I don't know any of these people. They come and go like swarms of bees around me, complimenting my plain dress or touching the loose curls of my hair. The men take my hand and kiss the top side, just like Jackson had done many times tonight, but their kisses are different. It's not a stomach-curling, happy feeling that explodes in my chest when their lips touch my skin. It's cold and plain. I don't feel much, and it saddens me a bit. But Jackson is by my side the entire time, his arm a possessive curl around my waist. His smile is pleasant but his eyes are hurried. He wants to get out of here as much as I do.

The women who had once ignored me when I walked in with Luna Hailey now flock to my side and gush over the voices of the men around them. They compliment my hair and the sequins in my dress. Quite honestly, I find this dress dull and a tad bit hideous, but I don't say that to them. I just thank them politely and search for a compliment to give back to them. It isn't very hard, though. The women are gorgeous! They all have shiny hair and long, beautiful lashes that encompass glowing eyes. They're slim and proper and speak with voices as if they were born into their titles, although I doubt many of them did. A lot of Alpha couples usually have sons, never daughters. It's weird, but it's not something that I question too often.

"You're so lucky!" One of them gushes. She touches my hair. "You're so beautiful!"

"Um, thank you," I say. "But, um, I'm just plain, I guess. There isn't anything beautiful about that."

"Sure there is!" Another woman pipes up. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A diamond is plain, isn't it? But it's one of the most beautiful and coveted gems in the world!"

"I guess..." I'm not really sure how to respond, because her analogy is right, but I'm far from a diamond. I'm more like a quartz. Less pretty and less worthy of anything.

"Oh, you're so lucky! How spoiled you'll be!" A third woman exclaims and eyes the shimmer of my dress.

"She will," the woman beside her agrees, and I think I really should start learning their names. "She's the Luna Queen, after all."

"I don't need anything," I say. "I'm happy with what I have. I don't want to be greedy."

The women stare at me for a moment, their conversation paused. Their eyes shimmer as if they think I'm cute, and they burst out laughing.

"What?" I demand. "What's so funny?"

One of the women wipes her eyes. "Oh Lord, I haven't laughed like that in years," she says, then beams at me. "My dear, you're the Luna Queen. You can have anything you want, and you will. Trust me. There's nobody that can repel that feeling of wanting more."

"Maybe internally," I attempt to defend myself. "But I know I'm happy with what I have right now. Materialistic objects won't fix anything for me."

The women glance at each other, as if they're realizing that I'm actually being serious. They whisper, covering their mouths with their hands in a cup-shape.

"Of course, Luna," one of them says and bows. "We were not trying to offend you."

"Oh! No, no don't worry, you didn't," I try to quickly recover. I don't want to be making enemies on the first day already. "It just confused me, that's all."

"You'll learn in time," they assure me in sync, and I wonder if they've gone through the same things that I have gone through.

Jackson is still talking to the men in front of him. His arm is still warm around me. I'm surprised he's never let go. He has determination, I'll give him that.