Chapter Two

"I can't wait to meet all the Alphas there!" Amanda, dressed in her poofy blue dress and overabundance of jewelry, squeals, clapping her hands together with her sister.

"I bet they'll only have eyes for the both of us," Darcy agrees, holding her sister's hands tightly. I sit behind them, dressed in an old gown Luna Hailey had given me before leaving. She mentioned it was a gift from her mother, a plain gray silk dress that Alpha Banastre definitely didn't want me wearing, but Luna Hailey told him to stuff it, and surprisingly, he did. I'm also surprised that I didn't burst out laughing at the kicked puppy look Alpha Banastre had given her, but I guess she's through with his nonsense.

"I'm sure they will," Alpha Banastre says warmly, which is the complete opposite reaction I expected from a man so staunch in keeping his daughters away from men, especially their mates. "You're both beautiful tonight, my girls."

"Obviously!" Darcy says. She glances at me, and I duck my head. She smirks. "Way prettier than Anvi is anyway, right Daddy?"

"Of course," Alpha Banastre nods, glaring at me from the rearview mirror. "You're the most beautiful girls in the world, after your mother, of course."

"Oh, of course!" Amanda flaunts, and Luna Hailey's jaw ticks. It's obvious that Alpha Banastre is trying to get on her good side again tonight, but she's not having it. She sits in the back with me instead of the front with him, accompanying me with her oldest child, Alpha Banastre's only son, heir apparent Oscar Yuen.

Alpha Banastre continues to praise his daughters, saying things to them that I block out. I'm not very interested in what he showers them with, but while it does make me want to throw up, it makes me think of my father, and the rocky relationship that I had with him. We were close in my younger years, I remember, but teenagerhood separated us, and by the time he was dead, we were hardly on speaking terms. Seeing Alpha Banastre lovingly care for his daughters (although neglecting his son) makes me feel sorry for myself, and also makes me feel guilty - like I should've been a better daughter to my dad.

"I can't wait to get this stupid thing over with," Oscar grumbles from beside me, his arms crossed over his chest like a pouty child.

"It'll be done before you know it, darling," Luna Hailey says placatingly, smiling at him. He glances at her. Her smile is addictive, and soon, his frown is replaced by a gentle grin. Oscar reminds me so much of Luna Hailey. Maybe that's why Alpha Banastre doesn't like him very much.

"Are you excited, Anvi?" Oscar turns his attention towards me and I shrug, looking down at my lap.

"Not particularly," I mumble. "I mean, I've never really liked parties. They bore me."

"I can relate," he says. He takes my hand, squeezing it gently. "But it'll be over soon, and who knows? Maybe..." he lowers his voice. "Maybe you'll find a way out?"

I flinch. I don't really want to talk about it, not after already discussing my freedom with Luna Hailey, but Oscar's been my friend for as long as Luna Hailey has. He's never given me a reason not to trust him, and yet, every time I look at him, no matter how much he resembles Luna Hailey, there's still that glint in his eyes that brings me back to Alpha Banastre. That gleaming, cruel glint that sparkles in his kind hazel eyes - you'd think having the most boring eye color ever would be less intimidating, but no matter how hard I tried to disillusion myself from believing so, Oscar was still Alpha Banastre's son. No matter the neglect, he'd be loyal to his father, or at least have a shred of feeling for him.

Because that's how victim mentality works I think bitterly, staying quiet for a few moments longer until I notice Oscar staring at me patiently, waiting for my reply. Sighing, I shrug.