Chapter Seven

As soon as the sound leaves my lips, I'm released. 

It's almost a panicked rush, like the person wasn't expecting me to react in a way that any normal person would when they're blindfolded and pushed up against someone they don't know. I don't expect him to let me go so quickly without a fight, so the stance I've taken to kick him quickly topples and I find myself on the ground, my hair covering my face and blinding my vision of my attacker. 

"Hey! Who are..." my voice trails off as the wind brushes my hair aside for me. 

Standing in front of me is what looks to be an exact carbon-copy of Jackson. Well, almost carbon-copy. There are a few differences. The man looks more like an impish boy - an elf, if you could. He has high, arrogant cheekbones and a curled smile. His hair is wispy and falls straight, like a frozen waterfall. He has Jackson's complexion, though, and the same dark eyes, except his glimmer with the shine of a poised warrior - a killer, maybe. 

He's wearing nothing but a towel around his waist and my back is wet, so the water was probably the remains of a shower that he had neglected to wipe. He stares down at me with a mix of a smirk and a sneer, his hands planted proudly on his hips. He doesn't say anything, but I already have a bright idea as to who this could be. 

"Well, don't you have a loud voice, huh?" Adonis pokes at his ear. "Perfect for screaming. Maybe that's why my brother brought you. He always liked the screamers."

"W-What?" I don't completely comprehend what he's referring to. 

"Oh, you know." Adonis offers me his hand. I take it, and he helps me up. 

"Know what?"

He cocks his head to the side. "So, you don't know," he says instead. 

I frown. "What? I - look," I shake my head. "I don't know what you're talking about, but...actually, I don't really want to know." I take my hand out of his. "Sorry for screaming. You just took me by surprise."

Adonis shrugs. "That's my go-to," he winks. "The ladies and gentlemen love it, didn't you?"

"Um...no, not really," I say, but Adonis isn't paying any attention to me. He swaggers over to what I assume is Jackson's bed and smooths his hand over some clothes. 

"You know," he picks up a shirt. "You're pretty new. Not really his type, now that I think about it." He pulls the shirt on. "Skinny. Tiny. Quiet." He shakes his head. "Yeah, not really his type."

"I...guess? I'm not so sure -!"

"Anvi!" The doors burst open and Jackson stands in front of the doorway, panting. His eyes are wild and he looks frantically from side to side before spotting me at the corner of the doorway.

"Um...hi?" I mumble, waving like an embarrassed child at a school fair. 

"Hey big bro!" Adonis skips over to Jackson, grinning like a maniac. "Nice of you to join us. I was just getting to know your...new friend."

"Adonis," Jackson's tone drops to an annoyed rumble. "What - did you scream? Who screamed?"

"Oh, um, that would have been me," I bite my lip. "Adonis kinda scared me - "Jackson turns his glare to Adonis. "- But I'm okay! I just..." I wipe my face. "I just wasn't expecting him to come up behind me, that's all. Delia said this was your room, so I thought it was empty."

"It usually is, and should be," Jackson growls. "What are you doing in my room, Adonis? And why are you wearing my clothes?"

Adonis shrugs, indifferent. "I don't see your name on them," he says. "So, it's fair game."