Chapter 1. ― Dog Bite

The calming smell of freshly brewed coffee and the sounds of quiet chatter engulfed my senses as I stepped into the small café

The calming smell of freshly brewed coffee and the sounds of quiet chatter engulfed my senses as I stepped into the small café. Immediately, I made a beeline for the booth in the back corner that we always took and slid into the seat. Next to me, Niki looked up and gave a warm smile.

"Hey, Y/n! Took you long enough," she joked, elbowing me in the ribs playfully.

I poked my tongue out at the blonde and looked across the table at Cara, who was sipping her regular drink of a chocolate milkshake.

Frowning, I realised that someone was missing from our group.

"Where's Drista at?" I asked my friends, to which Cara replied by sticking a thumb over her shoulder towards the bathroom.

I made a noise of recognition and picked up a menu to examine while we waited for our fourth member.

I already knew the menu off by heart, of course. We'd been coming to this same café every Saturday since we started the band without fail. But, I still wanted to take a look in case I decided that I wanted to order something different.

The sound of the bathroom door creaking open caught my attention and I looked up to see a familiar short, dirty-blonde girl walking back to our table. Her hands were stuffed in the pockets of her hoodie while she nodded her head to the music that was playing through her AirPods.

"Look who decided to show up!" Drista teased, messing with my hair as she sat down next to Cara.

"You guys are so funny," I said sarcastically.

"Really though, why were you so late today?" Cara asked me inquisitively.

I bit my lower lip and reached for my bag before hesitating.

"Maybe we should all get our orders before I explain..."

——————

"A Battle of the Bands? Seriously?" Niki deadpanned, wrinkling her nose up at the brightly coloured flyer

"Come on, Niki. We've hardly done anything as a band recently! When was the last time we even had a jam session?" I urged, causing her to fall silent.