Chapter 2. ― Oh!

The morning after, Drista called her mum to pick her and Niki up and Cara caught the bus since she had to work later

I was left alone to sit watching my phone intently for the Battle's webpage to update with the list of successful auditions. I wandered aimlessly around my apartment, snacking on the leftover chicken and strumming my guitar occasionally but never going five minutes without checking my phone again. 

At around 3 pm, it happened and I nearly fell off the couch.

There were 150 bands listed on the roster for round 1 of the competition.

We were set to be playing the Saturday after this Saturday, so since today is Monday we had...12 days to prepare.

Shit.

The page also said what the theme for round one was, being grunge and punk. Apparently, the judges (I'd decided that maybe it'd just be easier to call BadBoyHalo BBH instead) were fond of spicing up the competition by forcing bands to perform outside of their usual genres, so each round was differently themed.

I texted the group chat to let everyone know we'd gotten in and then scrolled down the list of bands out of curiosity. The name 'Feral-ish' jumped out at me, saying that they were playing this Friday night.

Looks as though we would be competing against Drista's brother then...

My phone buzzed with a notification and I checked the group chat to see how the girls had reacted.

We were all very excited to actually be in this competition, but also not looking forward to all the legwork that would be involved during each round.

I decided to experiment with writing some basic melodies to start off some new songs. I had a few miscellaneous lyrics that I had written down in my notes app when random inspiration hit me, but besides that, we didn't have any original content to work with.

Hmm...punk. Punk. Puuunnnk. I sat twiddling my fingers for a bit, not getting anywhere with ideas.

What can I do? ...What can I do? What can I say?

Oh.

That's kinda catchy somehow.

I wrote down the idea I had furiously on a notepad before I was interrupted with another buzz on my phone.