Chapter 5. ― Barracuda

The incessant ringing of my phone woke me up at around 3 am

Groaning, I fumbled in a half-asleep daze to answer the call.

"Hello?" I croaked out, my eyes closed as I waited to hear what was so important that it couldn't wait at least 4 more hours.

"Y/nnnnnnn! Yayy you picked up!" Clay's voice sounded from the other end of the line. In the background, I could hear people talking and loud, thumping music.

"Are you drunk right now?" I asked, now feeling a lot more awake than I had a minute ago.

"Maybeeeee," the blonde giggled. "You're really cute, Y/n. I can't stop thinking about you, so I thought 'why not just call her?' Genius, I know!"

"Clay, are you out with friends right now? Is there someone who can get you home safely?" I questioned firmly, worried that in his drunken state he might get hurt. It might be 3 am, but I was no stranger to picking up boozed-out friends from bars in the middle of the night as a last resort to keep them safe.

"Yeah, Nick and Karl are here with me," Dream replied, saying something incomprehensible to his friends (who I assumed were nearby him) and bursting into laughter.

"Is one of them sober?"

"Karl doesn't drink."

Phew. Looks like I wouldn't need to be an emergency chauffer after all. I know that these days there's Uber and other ride-share services you can use, but at this hour I wouldn't trust that to get someone I cared about home safely.

"Y/nnnnnnn," Clay whined, making me fight the urge to smile. He was undeniably cute when drunk.

"Yes, Clay?"

"No! Call me Dream, I like it when you call me Dream," he mumbled.

I sighed, resigned to my fate. Hopefully, he was drunk enough that he wouldn't remember this phone call in the morning.

"What is it, Dream?"

Clay giggled, and I could almost picture his smiling face.

"I'm saaaadd because I saw you with a guy after your show the other day when I came to say hi to you. Is he your boyfriend? I'm okay if he is I just wanna know so I can beat him up if he breaks your heart!!" The guitarist slurred drunkenly.

"What? Do you mean Wilbur? No, he's not my boyfriend," I answered honestly. Although...I wouldn't exactly mind Wilbur being my boyfriend.

"YAAAAAYYYYY!" Clay screamed happily, making me pull the phone away from my ear so I wouldn't get hearing damage. "I actually lied, I wouldn't be okay with him dating you because I'm the only one who gets to date you! I really like you a lot Y/n and after I win the Battle I'm gonna take you out on the best first date ever!!"