_8_

Flashback:

I smile again. "Dear, I want to tell you this but it's getting late. Just remember that there is always a way out. Maybe we can meet up later. I will share the characteristics and the steps to overcome temptation. Are you interested?"

She smiles and embraces me. "Yes! I am interested".

End of flashback. ☺️😌

Sandra, being the gleeful girl she is, she decides we meet at a restaurant where we can get ice cream and talk about God's Word. I'm savoring the delicious taste of my strawberry-flavored ice cream when she asks, "What are the characteristics of Temptation?"

I shiver as the ice cream touch my chapped lips. I truly need something cold. The sun has dealt with me today.

"Hmm....I will just share what I know? Feel free to learn more," I begin. She nods. "I'll point the characteristics through the story of Joseph and Potiphar's wife. The first characteristics I want to point out is that temptation is repetitive".

"Repetitive?"

"Yes" I respond. "The Bible says in Genesis 39 verse 10 that '...she spoke to Joseph day after day".

"Wow!"

"Yes! The devil knows you may resist the first time so he keeps trying till you give in. Temptation is also location sensitive. The Bible says 'One day he went into the house to attend to his duties, and none of the household servants was inside. She caught him by his cloak and said,"Come to bed with me!" The devil knows the best time and location to strike temptation at you."

"Really?"

"Yes! He is the master of trickery and deceit. He watches and when the time is right, he gives a clear opportunity and location for you to fall into that temptation," I shrug. "Also, Temptation is aggressive. We read in Joseph's story that Potiphar's wife '...caught him by his cloak'. Can you believe? When it comes to temptation, trust me, you don't want to be alone. You need someone stronger and more powerful than the devil and that supreme being is God, our Heavenly Father."

She nods her head in agreement.

"I also believe Temptation is what you long for or desire. It's like when you desire something against God's will or command, the devil will just come to visit and provide opportunity to have what you desire just to separate you from God. Since the devil is the master in trickery, he can present a poison as flower to you and you won't even know except with the grace and strength of God".

Sandra puts a spoonful of ice cream in her mouth and she screams as it causes her brain freeze. Her teeth gnashes as she rubs her forehead. "Sorry for interrupting".

"No problem," I chuckle and have another taste of my ice cream. "In the temptation of Jesus, the Bible says Jesus '...was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread". The tempter uses what you desire to separate you from God. This desire could be lust of the flesh: food, shelter and more, Pride of Life, or Lust of the Eyes. Anything possible, the tempter will want to use it to separate you from God".

She sighs.

"Temptation is a shortcut and that can be noted from the first temptation of Jesus. The shortcut to getting food is to turn the stones to bread. Temptation is most time shortcut to what you desire".

"So how can we overcome this temptation?"

"Hmm...I don't want to summarize it. There is a lot to say on this though. We will talk later. Is that okay?"

"Yes," she forces a smile. "I actually wanted to hear it now".

"I want you to think about all the temptations you have faced, conquered or you are yet to conquer. Are these characteristics found in them?" I ask.

"Hmm...."

What do you think are the steps to overcome temptation? I'm listening. I'll also like to learn from you too.

Thanks for reading. God bless you. ☺️