Chapter 3: Prepare to die!

"How dare you steal from the Beast?" demanded the terrifying creature. "I gave you food and shelter, and this is how you repay me? Thief?"

"I'm s-s-sorry," said Puebla, trembling all over.
The Beast glared at her and gave a low growl.
"I'll pay for the flower!" cried Puebla, desperately.
"Yes, you'll pay, said the Beast. "You'll pay with your life!"

"Please don't harm me," begged Puebla. "I just wanted a rose for Beau—for my son."
"Son?" thought the Beast.

The Beast fixed her burning eyes on Puebla. "I'll let you live if you send Beau to me. If he refuses, you must return in a week to meet your fate," she declared. "Or I'll come after you!"

"I can't risk Beau's life," Puebla thought. With a heavy heart, she told the Beast she would return.
Before Puebla left, the Beast put a ruby bridle on the horse's muzzle.
"She'll be able to find her way to your home and back," said the Beast. "The bridle will guide her."

"I'm home!" called Puebla, as she came down the path. Beau ran to her, smiling.
"How was the trip?"
"Fine," said Puebla.
She couldn't bear to tell him the truth.

As the week passed, Puebla grew thin and pale.
"What's wrong, Mother?" Beau asked.
"Nothing," she replied. "Please don't worry about me."

That night, Beau thought he heard her crying.

He found her asleep at her desk the next morning, with a letter in front of her. He picked it up and started to read.
Dearest sons,
When you read this letter
I will have left you forever.
I took a rose from the garden
of a monstrous beast and she
has sworn to kill me unless
I bring her my youngest
son. I could never do
that to you, Beau, so
I have gone in your place.

Farewell, your loving mother.

"Oh no!" cried Beau. "This all my fault."

Looking out of the window, Beau saw his mother's horse saddled up, ready to go. He knew what he had to do. Quickly and quietly, he scribbled a note for her.
Dear Mother,
I have gone to the Beast's
Castle instead of you.
All my love, Beau.

His mother's horse seemed to know the way. She galloped down the twisting paths as if guided by a magic force.

As the Beast's castle came into view, Beau gripped the reins in fear.