Don't Understand

"And... there... we... go!" Simone beamed as she fluffed up the puffy bun she put in Bianca's hair after she'd washed, conditioned, and detangled it. When she first saw the child, she noticed that the orphanage was not taking care of her hair and she was sure that based on the environment, the girl never learned how to do so herself.

"I will leave all of these supplies here for you. I know they can be hard to find in Italy." Simone held up the bag that contained shampoo, conditioner, and oil for textured hair, as well as a detangling comb and brush.

Bianca couldn't help the big smile that came to her face when she looked in the mirror and saw her hair in its natural glory pulled up in a puff on top of her head. She stroked and lightly pulled at her hair as she admired it before turning around to look up at Simone and wrap her arms around her legs in a hug.

"Grazie mille!" The little girl said and went on to express more of her thanks in Italian.

The two of them continued to exchange more words and Simone gave Bianca some tips about taking care of hair and told her she will leave her phone number so that the girl could contact her whenever she had questions.

"Bianca," Violetta called when she walked into the room. "You're supposed—" she paused when she saw the little girl's hair as she held the biggest smile Violetta had seen on her face since Bianca returned to the orphanage. "Bellisima! (Very beautiful!)" she chimed, gesturing at the child's hair.

An excited Bianca explained in rapid Italian that Simone had helped her with her hair and how much she loved it.

"I am happy to hear that," Violetta replied. "Now, why don't you show the other ragazzi (children) and go to your classes?"

Bianca nodded as she continued to hold a big smile and ran over to her bed to get her backpack. Before leaving the room, she gave Simone another tight hug and said her goodbyes.

After she left, Violetta looked at Simone curiously. "Bianca is rarely this comfortable with new people, but she has really taken a liking to you."

Probably because she never gets to see people who look like her, Simone replied internally. "I've really taken a liking to her too... I thought you were with Luca?"

"I was, but now I need coffee, plus, Bianca — who is never late — was not in her classes, so I came to check on her."

"I see."

"Do you want to come with me to get coffee, Simone?"

"That sounds good. I'm sure Luca will be busy pretty much all day anyway."

"Yes, that boy and his errands. Let's go!"

Simone and Violetta walked over to the bar not far from the orphanage grounds while Luca remained on campus meeting with a few contractors to discuss repairs, renovations, and additions for the area.

Violetta did not agree with polygamy and her first instinct three years ago when she learned Luca and Emiliano were sharing a wife was one of disapproval. However, while she didn't understand or agree with the construct of their relationship, she knew that Luca was the happiest that she had ever seen him.

Even once he'd grown up and started working on the orphanage, Luca still had an underlying sadness about him, but once he married Simone, Violetta noticed that it no longer seemed to be there. Of course, his mother was still a sore topic and he'd get depressed around the anniversary of her death, but now that Simone was in his life, he finally had someone who could truly be there for him and comfort him in that time.

"Luca told me the you two visited Isabella's grave?" Violetta asked Simone as they waited for their drinks at the bar.

"We did," Simone nodded. "Luckily, his friends have been keeping her flowers fresh, but we put down some new ones yesterday and then we just sat there peacefully for a while."