Chapter 02

They continue to run as they catch up with their breath

They continue to run as they catch up with their breath. As time flew by, Lucia and Ella seems to slow down- rather exhausted from exerting too much effort. They wandered around the hallways designed with the family's portrait and posh floral arrangements. Still, Lucia manages to bring Ella to west side of the mansion where Lady Lea's chamber could be found. They have entered the room quietly just not to disturb anyone. The room welcomes the both of them with
icy tension. And, Ella somewhat felt something was not right. The only thing that can be heard was the deafening silence that lingers inside the chamber.

Ella walked as gently as possible towards her mom's bed. Her smile faded as she pursue to get closer to her mother. She touched her hand, but there's nothing but cold, losing the warmth that a living person should give. The child could not sense her mother's breathing. She tried to call her name to wake her up but her mom did not open her eyes. All of a sudden, Ella could not think of anything but; Mom? Did you leave me too?

"Lucia, was she upset?" Ella knows she's making up excuses to convince herself that everything is not what it looks like. She had no idea her tears would not stop falling from her eyes.
"She's not mad, milady. It's just..."The crying Lucia stuttered as she tried to speak.

The sudden burst of sadness in Ella's heart made her blood shiver from fear of losing someone. She really knows what this can be, but she found herself not accepting the reality in front of her. Ella knew that her mom was weak and fragile woman, but her mom being dead never crossed her mind. She was not expecting this to happen for she believes that she will get better through medications.

Ella said to herself that never in her life did she wish for this to occur. It's true that she was only waiting for the sunrise to appear to go to the cathedral to pray for her mother and yet the morning goes like an awful nightmare. She thinks that her mom can't just disappear like the way she did now, "You know how much I hate crying over trivial matters, so why are you subjecting me to such agony?"

Like anyone else, she felt the air got stuck up her throat making her unable to speak any word more. It's choking her, hurting her chest like some heavy burden she was carrying alone.

Mom you know it is my birthday. Can't you just be alive?

How painful must it be to stop her from being happy in her day? All she has in her mind was guilt from having delusional thoughts before knowing her mother's passing. Like, how can she get to smile before finding out the truth about her mother's death? She was mad at herself for not asking what's going on beforehand. She was blaming her own for her mom's death. She regretted dreaming of all sweet things she would receive.

She's putting herself like she was a selfish and ignorant child not caring for her mother even though that was not the real case. She cared for mom like nobody else does; it was just her guilt that was building up inside her now. It's making her remorseful that teaches her conscience to justify her reasoning, denying the facts of today's situation. She has already found her own self pitiful and lonely. It's even harder for her now because her mother will not be able to accompany her in her life.

Her pain from the idea of losing her mom resulted to her irrational thinking that maybe it's not too late. And that, maybe her mom's doctor can revive her. She then, approached Lucia to call for her mom's doctor. While waiting, Ella sat beside her mom's cold body. She can't stop her tears from flowing. She who, bears grief-stricken fate and lost her only present parent, was shouldered with the weight of death.

The doctor arrives shortly after Lucia went to the physician's home. Secretly yawning while walking fast towards the baroness' room. He entered seeing a child who is in pain. Wiping off her tears again and again. But it seems nonstop, it's her mournful heart that sets her into this regression.

Ella ran towards the doctor she saw walking to get inside and hold his hand, " I have no enough money on my name. But, I will give you everything I have in my possession so please save my mom. " she stuttered as she said the words genuine of her.

She's desperate. She's willing to do anything for the sake of her loving mother.

But she can't accept the fact that her mother was only a lying dead body until the doctor declared her death himself. I beg you to work on something and create a miracle. I don't go back on her words, so you must revive her.

She became quiet trying to hold her tears back. In spite of that, she can't control her miserable soul. The teardrops won't go away. She's cowering from this anxious trauma. She was covering her mouth now so that she would not make a sound. She's sad, but what they didn't know is that this sorrow is slowly piercing her. Unsure if she can handle this right.

The doctor did not pay attention to giving her mom any medication and came to where Ella was.

"Child, you are suffering, but I can't bring the deceased back to life. I am aware of your overflowing desperation to save her. Still, I am not a God."

This made her drops of sadness flow onto her face without the barrier she put up to resist them. All the emotions she caged inside her heart as the doctor looked to her mom free themselves like blood going out from a wound. It's not the same for a wounded heart of a child. Going through this alone made her realize that;

Sometimes things we want to last a lifetime won't be there for us-they will simply vanish with the memories of the past, leaving uncertain thoughts behind. However, how long do they stay in our minds? Do they carry grudges or smile? Bittersweet tales weren't contradicting pain from happiness.

I wish I knew that from the start.

Ella caught the doctor's gaze on her. He then left without a word. He didn't even claim his doctor's fee. She thought that for now, she'll be the one managing her own mother's funeral service.

"Cancel all the preparations for this day's event." She cried knowing her heightened expectations have come to be disappointments.

Father, where are you now?