Chapter 09

"Lady Ella! It's time to wake up!" Some maid was knocking behind the door of Ella's room.

The young girl doesn't feel like waking up, but it's true that she needs to keep herself collected and ready. As the sun was now awake and spreading its light through the sky continually. She forced herself to lift her own body up and prepare for her daily routine. Behind all these, the drowsiness keeps on getting her way, but she doesn't let it get ahead of what she's capable of.

"Be ready by 7. We will leave." The baron came to pass by his daughter's room and reminded Ella of what she had seen on last night's note.

It rang a bell in Ella's mind, and she started to move, pumped up by what her father said. With the help of her attendees, she starts to take a bath and gets dressed up for a trip her father has made arrangements for. Even though she didn't want to admit that she's excited for what's coming this day. She's feeling elation for the first time in a while. She wore her favorite spring-themed white floral dress that matches her mini satchel bag. It's just the start of the journey; she will yet unfold the surprises awaiting. Once she finished her preparations, she ran off towards the Baron's office and greeted him with such pleasantries in mind.

Lord Alaric took off his eyeglasses, and he fixed his black trench coat, rubbing off some dust that had caught on it. In the presence of his daughter, his lips curved upward subconsciously. He's glad that Ella agreed to what he planned discreetly after returning. He thought that, at the very least, he could still be a father to his wife's child despite his shortcomings. Even though it's not as lively as it has been before, what he really needed was to make sure that the bright light his child brought into this mansion would never go astray. The well-being of his sole daughter is what keeps him trying to survive life without his beloved. He held Ella's hand with care and went to grab his black hat along the way, leaving his exhausted study with its master on a work break. He decided to do so because all that he had done until now was work. It might have been the guilt that pushed him to make space for what was really important to him. But what's great was the presence of commitment to improving ties with the family.

They walked down the staircase to reach the ground floor of the house. And once they reached it, the maid serving the lady gave the baron the lady's travel coat and enveloped her with it. Keeping the young child's body warm on any occasion. He fixed Ella's hair that covers her face and spoke softly, "Regrets may haunt the hearts forever, but let the little speck of chance recover what was lost. Failure or achievements, it doesn't matter if you always set yourself free. Remember this, Ella."

"Don't spoil the mood, Father. Let's just head into the surprise and let time heal us both." Flustered, she is. She doesn't want to admit that all the things her father did for her made her happy because she's reminded of unfading grief.

Setting aside the invisible walls between them, they held each other's hands as they passed through the front door of the mansion. It's made of the sturdy dark wood anyone could find inside the territory of the Esenwoods. Standing on the outside was the carriage, waiting for the two to enter. The baron prepared only a normal-looking carriage to not get any attention from the crowd. Still, he brings the family insignia with him for identification purposes. He guided Ella as she took steps inside the transportation vehicle and went to follow her after. What amazes the young lady is that the inside of
the moving wagon was entirely different from the exterior design. The couch inside was created with imported oak wood from another country to which her father had ventured. It was layered with soft cotton blocks from their family's estate. The burgundy-smooth textile cover is what makes the seat comfortable all over. They sat beside each other while enjoying the view outside.

After passing through the gates, the morning chirping of birds is one of the things that greets them by the road. The green grass that shines upon the meadow of the sun will soon wither when autumn gets by and winter comes along with it. Its tips were gently swaying along with the warm breeze that touched them. But it is sure to give anyone a refreshing sight of nature. The stone bridge, made with cement and yellow claystone bricks, served as the floor pathway for any vehicle. The father-daughter duo thought that the early daybreak horizon that covered the place was splendid. They've seen farmers sweating under the hot sun's rays to provide nutritious crops and wheat. Some kids were running around the place, tossing sticks and giggling at each other.